Has anyone painted or refinished

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdenton

Sep 15, 2011
MI
Hello
I have a Woodstock Fireview that is 6 years old

When I purchased it, I purchased the flat black and grey

The black cast iron is looking really old and ruff.
I wish I would have bought this with a shiny finish (nicer looking and easier to clean)

Anyone have any experience repainting their stove?
I want to stick with black but maybe if available a shiny coating and not just the stove black high temp paint

When I was looking at some Stove Bright paint the other day I noticed they had mostly flat, but black and a few other colors in satin. Lots of colors to choose from. I think the brush on might have a glossier finish too.

Several folks have done this. Sometimes when there is fussy castiron work it's easier to do with a brush than spray.

If your picky about the finish don't use the cheap Rustoleum flat black. It looks good until you wipe it down. The finish is chalky and that part wipes off leaving it kind of shiny. Use Stove Bright instead. Also make sure there is absolutely no rust when you paint it. It's the prep that makes the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.