Has anyone removed masonry from a fireplace to make room for an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Aug 8, 2011
Jersey Shore
I have an old coal chimney that has a very shallow depth. Its around 14 inches deep. The chimney inspector told me he could send over his mason and that it might be possible to remove some masonry to get the room I need to install an insert.

I would like to know if anyone has done this and how it turned out? What was involved? Did you re-support the section that was removed?

Can you install a free standing stove some where else in the house?

I have no idea about coal fireplaces (never heard of one) but most fireplaces have a smoke shelf in the back wall. Usually set off the actuall chimney by a few inches on the bottom (6-8" I presume) and tapering up to 12" or so in the back. Normally this is not part of the chimney structure but I would have someone confirm that before you start busting out bricks.

Reactions: Uncle
it might work we have done it on a few occasions. but being an old coal fp there probably are not as many layers of brick. they usually had a cast iron insert of sorts in them and there fore did not need as much protection in the fire box. I would just make sure the mason drills in first to see how thick the back wall is before starting. also don't forget you still need enough thickness there to provide protection for the new insert I don't remember what that dimension is off hand but I am thinking 8" nominal of masonry

do a search, i remember reading a post where a guy cut out a bunch of bricks from an arched fireplace to make room for a square insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.