Has backorder at Harman made you switch stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenalmond

Jul 25, 2008
Boston MA
Just trying to get a feel if people who had been affected by Harman backorder snafu have switched to another available stove? I placed an order for the Accentra freestanding in June was given a November date that has now been pushed out to January. Personally I have decided to wait for the Harman; its the stove I like the best. I am just curious to see if there has been a big shift to other stoves since if there is a big swing I am hoping that delivery date from Harman might be pushed up as previous orders are freed/reallocated.

What has been the response from customers to those of you who are Harman dealers?

I switched. I ended up going with the Summer's Heat 49-SHCPM with delivery mid-August. I initially ordered a P68 the first week of June with an install date of August 18th. I have only been told that now that wouldn't happen and haven't gotten any updates as to a new delivery date from my dealer. I'll probably be calling them today to take my name off of the list. I really liked the P68 but I think the CPM will do fine for us with a lot less money invested.

I ended up switching dealers - one far south of here - to get my P38. They're in short supply only in NE as others I've talked with have them in stock but won't ship them out of state. Funny crowd those stove dealers....

The status of our P61A is unknown.
We are #5 on the list as we ordered just before the huge rush.
The dealer is trying real hard to get us ours and said if they can get one more
P61 we should be OK.

Link to Harmon update in local paper:
http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=201766&ac=PHnws

While waiting, we have put our name on a list for a Napoleon NPS 40.
The dealer ordered 8 and 4 have been spoken for.
That means we are #5 on that list too.
Problem is, I cannot find reviews/opinions on this stove!!!

We have 1540 sq ft to heat. (2 floors of a small Cape)
If both of these will do the trick, then there is an $1100 price difference to consider.

**Update**
Dealer called this afternoon and P61A is on its' way.
We talked it over and opted to pay the extra which we think in the long run will be worth it.

:exclaim: We ordered a Harmon insert the beginning of July. The dealer never called me until I called them today and was told that my insert won't arrive until December ! I don't know should we wait or should we switch. But we have a problem with our fireplace size which not all insert will fit ! Any suggestion ?

This is my advise to anyone buying a Harman or Quadrafire or any other brand in this run-on-the-bank climate that is currently happening; If you have done your research and it is the stove you want, wait for it. A stove is a long term investment, something that should last you many years. If you settle for less then what you really wanted you will always feel that you could have gotten something better if you just waited. Also right now since there is a shortage, some dealers will raise there prices wanting to cash in on the rush, but if you wait you will get the stove you wanted at the price you are willing to pay.

wayoutthere007 said:
I ended up switching dealers - one far south of here - to get my P38. They're in short supply only in NE as others I've talked with have them in stock but won't ship them out of state. Funny crowd those stove dealers....

Funny crowd those stove dealers? . You are being kind to them.

I decided not to wait on the Harman P61A and bought an Enviro Evolution instead. I gave up 15,000 btu but saved $1000.00 on the price difference. All 4 dealers within 60 miles of me were giving me the same answers for the most part. 2 outright told me that there would be no chance of a Harman this year and 2 wanted me to go on a waiting list just incase. A couple of dealers were of the opnion because we are in Canada we will be last on the list to get stoves. I was not taking the chance of not getting a stove and having to pay $3,500.00 for oil again this year,
The Enviro should be able to heat the 1400 sq feet 2 story house and if I need to use some electric heat in the basement when its -30 out and a bit of oil along with the 4 tons of pellets I should still end up saving between $1,500.00 and $2,000.00 at todays oil prices. Payback will be 2 years at $1,500.00 savings, faster if oil goes up.

I ordered a P61A at the end of May/early June. According to the dealer I have moved up a notch on the list from number 3 to 2. For a variety of reasons this was the stove I chose so I won't be switching gears due to the delay. I'm looking at this particular stove as a long term relationship and in my opinion its the right one for my application. I'm certainly hoping to have it for this heating season but if that doesn't work out my family is not going to freeze to death. The one thing that I kind of take offense to is that some posters on here have categorized everyone that is waiting for a stove as some kind of "panicking johnny come lately" caught up in a mad feeding frenzy for pellet stoves. For many of us this was a decision that had been in the works for quite some time. Our new house was completed in December '07. Our plan was build our deck and order a pellet stove in the spring after we got settled in, which we've done. We're waiting a little longer than we planned for the stove but I've waited longer for other things that I wanted. Hopefully those that are really in need will get their stoves before winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.