Hauling a stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paredown

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2009
Lower Hudson New York
I have another complete newbie question.

Has anyone hauled their stove in a pickup truck?

Can a cast stove be tipped over on it's back?--I have a cap on my truck & don't think I will be able to get it in the truck standing upright.

If this works, I'll have my stove on Monday!!

More news to follow...

u got a compact truck or somthing, should have like 5 feet with the tailgate down and topper hatchup to get it in there.

paredown said:

Can a cast stove be tipped over on it's back?--I have a cap on my truck & don't think I will be able to get it in the truck standing upright.

More news to follow...

I don't see any issue laying it down on its back or side. Just make sure there's not a fire in it first. ;-) And cushioning is always good. Obey the speed limit.

I got my VC in the back of the Suburban without a problem. I used an appliance dolly, pulled it up, slid it in and left it strapped to the dolly.

paredown said:

More news to follow...

Yes.

Be sure to remove the firebricks first (if it has any - some cast iron stoves don't) as this will lighten the lifting and save your brick from needless breaking.

Bigg_Redd said:
paredown said:

More news to follow...

Yes.

Be sure to remove the firebricks first (if it has any - some cast iron stoves don't) as this will lighten the lifting and save your brick from needless breaking.
Also remove any easily removable parts, like andirons, ash pans, floor grates, doors. Be sure to put the stove body up against the front of the pickup bed. A panic stop with the stove still moving forward in the bed would be no fun at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.