Hauling The Cherry Out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
My wife brought the old truck back in so we could fill it with cherry rounds from yesterday, after doing that I made three more trips with the small trailer full of Cherry rounds. All that is left are the tops of the Cherry which I'll grab in the next couple of weeks.

Attached are some pictures of todays work, pic 4193 is the first load of the day,4194 is the second load of the day at the truck,4195 is the wife taking the truck home and 4196 is the last load of the day.

Looks like I'll be splitting then stacking this next weekend.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4193.jpg
    100_4193.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 567
  • 100_4194.jpg
    100_4194.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 575
  • 100_4195.jpg
    100_4195.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 562
  • 100_4196.jpg
    100_4196.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 567
Zap do you burn all this wood or do you sell some?? Great pictures by the way

estang said:
Zap do you burn all this wood or do you sell some?? Great pictures by the way

I sold some over the summer to our neighbor, I'm not sure if we will do it again. If I had a trailer with a dump box then I would sell some for sure.

Thanks
Zap

Zap...I never get tired of looking at freshly cut rounds. Love the rounds in the blue pick up.

Great stuff Zap. Lookin' good in your woods.I'm finally about 90% done with cleanup of standing snags & deadfall at parents place started Aug 2010.If if stays decent about 2 more weeks,should have the rest hauled in to landing area near the shed & stacks. Stayed away most of Jan & Feb during that artic blast with 20"+ snow on ground then again 2 weeks in July-Aug when we had that ridiculous 105-117 heat index.... :-S

Good job.
You need the splitter between the trailer & truck . Trailer rounds to splitter; splits to truck. You need a few more hands :)
Nice weather!

Stax, I'm with you on the rounds, we have a bunch of cherry by the house that should give us another two cord. We have two more stacking areas I'm working on.

Thistle, it is never done, just when you think your catching up another storm moves in and takes some trees down.

bogydave, one splitter is up top and the second splitter is setup around the house by the wood pile. That one year I split everything then left it in the woods until spring so most rounds on the low part of our property comes out in rounds, up top I split then haul it out. :eek:hh:

GolfandWoodNut, I'm not against hunting (have my license) but no hunting allowed.

zap :

Nice haul, Zap. Sure do enjoy seeing photos of your wood harvesting.

I have grown to love cherry wood. It is just real easy cutting and splitting,
and it's ready the soonest. I burn a fair amount here.

Looks like you dodged all the snow. Was expecting to see a foot of snow on the ground.

I can't remember how you split Zap . . . hand or hydraulic . . . but you say the splitting is easy. . . I rarely have any cherry here, but I remeber as a kid that we had a fair amount, and it was the worst stuff we had to split. Split from one end, flip over split from the other, then lay it down and try to get the pieces to 'let go'. 'Course, that was back when I was like 150#, so maybe that was part of it. Plus all the beech was punky in the middle, so one hit on opposite sides had even the largest pieces busted in two.

While I'm gettin' off topic . . . do you guys have ticks in the woods up there Zap? We never even knew/thought about them when I was growing up 'going to get wood', but now I refuse to go into the woods till it gets cold.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
I can't remember how you split Zap . . . hand or hydraulic . . . but you say the splitting is easy. . . I rarely have any cherry here, but I remeber as a kid that we had a fair amount, and it was the worst stuff we had to split. Split from one end, flip over split from the other, then lay it down and try to get the pieces to 'let go'. 'Course, that was back when I was like 150#, so maybe that was part of it. Plus all the beech was punky in the middle, so one hit on opposite sides had even the largest pieces busted in two.

While I'm gettin' off topic . . . do you guys have ticks in the woods up there Zap? We never even knew/thought about them when I was growing up 'going to get wood', but now I refuse to go into the woods till it gets cold.

Hydraulic for splitting. Yes we have ticks, I'm just spraying on some deep wood's off, I have been lucky not to get any ticks .

I bought some of this for spraying on the clothing for next year, I think it is good for six washes.

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/516...rmethrin-insect-repellent-reviews/reviews.htm

zap

So, Zap got the wife out working again! Looks good zap.

If I got my hands on one of those mini tracked skid steers, I'm not sure I would be able to take it back.

somthing I like about big rounds of cherry. cant put my finger on it.

mecreature said:
somthing I like about big rounds of cherry. cant put my finger on it.

More cherry to come, just need this split and stacked first. Looks like I'll get enough to replace what we will burn this year.

zap

Cluttermagnet, we burn more cherry than any other wood, it does the job.

Eco, looks like some nice weather through the second week of November.

Andrewdee, we save the good stuff for the colder weather but why not burn it if you have it.

zap

Zap, does that mean the weather will turn for rifle deer season on Nov. 15? I hope so.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, does that mean the weather will turn for rifle deer season on Nov. 15? I hope so.

Last year are first snow was Oct. 30th, I'm sure we will have some by Nov.15th. Rifle season has started here.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.