Hauling wood today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I didn't cut anything today but decided to haul what little wood I got from a dead pin oak. Those buggers were heavy!

Loadofpinoak.gif

So I stacked them on the side of the splitting pile that has the oak. There is also some cherry in that second row.

Splittingpile-2.gif

This is a view of the other side of the splitting pile.

Splittingpile-4.gif

Looks great Sav, is that mud on your tires? Just came in fom pushing in two small loads so we won't have much to do on the weekend and the trails ares all ice.

zap

The mud was on the tires but before I got that load to the splitting pile it was pretty much all off. It had dried so running over the grassy area cleaned them right up. Looks like we may get a little bit of snow and will stick around for a few days along with some colder air but not as cold as you.

Your back can't be feeling that bad!
Well, before you started lifting those rounds anyways. :)

Right Velvetfoot. I was very thankful to have the cant hook for loading those buggers though.

I have to make a higher lift on my trailer. I sometimes use a short round and the tire to lift it in stages over the edge. Then again, lately I've been doing all my splitting right at the log pile...vertically! Then I can toss the splits right into the trailer.

Nice Dennis, you can really pile up in that wagon. Ground is pretty frozen here since yesterdays workout, and we have about 2.5 " of snow today. When do you expect to start splitting those rounds? That is a nice sizable pile there. Be well

Hey, we usually start splitting in March or April right after the snow melts off. Not so sure we'll have any snow to melt off this year. lol So, I may start splitting sooner this year. I'm thinking about just cleaning up some of the stuff we have down and calling it good for this year. Not sure how much wood is in the stack but probably at least 6 cord and we burn 3 a year so I'm still way ahead of the game.

We are supposed to get a couple inches of snow Friday but we'll see. No frost in the ground yet except what little bit we got in the last couple of days. Cold expected this weekend but it does not appear it will stay around very long. I have one spot I'd like to get cleaned up and freezing would help a lot so we're hopeful.

Looks good Dennis,
Glad to see you recovered from your little fall.

Those rounds look nice Dennis. You are a lot neater than me with the rounds, I like to make them neat after they are split. Also with the hills around here and the mud I think I will wait until spring to cut and collect more wood. I walk in the woods a lot and there is a never ending supply to clean up, I might consider going in the woods when/if the ground freezes, but it is hassle for me to take the plow off my Quad (well it takes 15 minutes anyway) and it gets in the way if I leave it on. I might have to pick up a log splitter ,like yours, this year, my elbow is not healing and I missing splitting by hand, but I knew sooner or later I would have to get a log splitter.

Nice. looks like you got some more work in front of you.

Nice work, 6 cord is nothing to shake a stick at.

That made me close to heading down your way & "Kicking Your Ash"
Heavy, & I don't see a ramp where you rolled them on.
I don't question your strength, but wouldn't one row of big ones on the bottom & a few extra trips have been smarter.

If you hurt yourself again, I'm sending a "big boot" Fed-Ex'd!

COME ON MAN!!!

Nice load of wood on a beautiful day. :)

bogydave said:
That made me close to heading down your way & "Kicking Your Ash"
Heavy, & I don't see a ramp where you rolled them on.
I don't question your strength, but wouldn't one row of big ones on the bottom & a few extra trips have been smarter.

If you hurt yourself again, I'm sending a "big boot" Fed-Ex'd!

COME ON MAN!!!

Nice load of wood on a beautiful day. :)
You know boys will be boys.

Keep up the good work, Dennis. I hear ya on the cold, it's supposed to be really cold here on Saturday and Sunday, but no snow. Kinda makes me mad cause I need snow to get the snowmobile up on the farm to retrieve more of those white oaks I have been eyeing up for years now. There dead and ripe for the picking, but I need to be able to get them out of the woods. Oh, well. Mother nature really threw us a loop this year. I'm hoping to at least get 150 maple trees tapped on Saturday and Sunday. See if we can at least get some maple syrup in this crappy weather!

That's an impressive pile of rounds. And a lot of splitting in your future.

Backwoods Savage said:
I didn't cut anything today but decided to haul what little wood I got from a dead pin oak. Those buggers were heavy!
That's more than a "little" wood in my book, Dennis! That stuff looks pretty fresh; Serious tonnage on the green Pin! I have a couple down waiting for me and I don't think they're getting much drier/lighter. :eek:hh:

Nice work.

Glad your doing better after your fall.

That pretty much describes the weather right now Lee. We're in for a brief cold snap but don't expect it to last long.

Those pin oaks were enough to make you know you are working for sure. As for the stacking, it is not a big thing for me to put some of the big ones up a bit higher. Locust said boys will be boys. lol. I will admit they are easier to get off the stack than onto the stack. I do have a cant hook to assist with the loading if need be and definitely had to use it on a few of those buggers but not any that were on the trailer in that picture. Just the ones at the butt end of the tree. The trailer also tilts if need be. As for stacking the rounds, that is pretty simple and you can do it without even thinking.

As for splitting where we're cutting, I probably would if splitting by hand but having to move the splitter around from tree to tree I think takes more time. In addition, I'd need to change the oil because that stuff can get pretty thick in the winter and then I can't pull the starter rope fast enough. So I just leave the splitter in the barn and get it out once a year to do all the splitting. Then I stack right where I split.

BogyDave, come on down and kick my ash anytime. Besides, I've not considered myself too smart at any time...

Scotty, I wondered when you might be tapping the trees. Seems a bit early but Mother Nature doesn't look at the calendar.

Velvet, I have been considering one or two of those or the other kind. I think the ones you have pictured can pick up about a 12" diameter log but that is big enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.