Have an idea to extend my hopper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tnt8281

Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2010
Delton, MI
On other side of the wall i was thinking of putting a bin higher up. Then have gravity feed into the side of the hopper through pvc piping.
Do you think this would work?

Most stoves are built with the understanding that the hopper lid will be tightly secured. You may run the risk of not having an optimal fire or possilby some back burn issues.

Personally, I wouldn't do it...............unless you tell me it's awesome.

I had a small hopper fire/smolder. If I had your idea rigged to my stove it would have allowed air to get to the hopper. I don't like the thought of pvc pipe on a stove for obvious reasons.

Shorty said:
On other side of the wall i was thinking of putting a bin higher up. Then have gravity feed into the side of the hopper through pvc piping.
YES

I thought of making a metal bin that would fit into the small slot Whitfield uses, make it extend forward and up with leg's to support, maybe add another 30lbs or so, leaving my hopper door open is ok, keeps the pellets cooler, inside of hopper get's pretty warm.

Shorty said:
no, but set up a model & try see if the pellets will flow without getting jammed which i bet they will, sorry

Did my homework, found out NO PVC attached in any fashion to any part of the pellet stove or the exhaust or OAK. it is against code, and not recommended by the manufacture. Can't tell from your signature what stove you have. My Napoleon dealer offered an extender for the hopper. Now will hold nearly two bags of pellets. No longer have to add partial bags when I settle in for the night. Cost about 90 dollars. Not air tight, but neither was the original lid. It is a 4 sided 6in. band of metal painted to match the stove. Unscrew the lid, screw on the then extender and screw the lid back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.