Have storage tank, need suggestions on piping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmudd

Jun 7, 2012
Central MO
I recently bought a 500 gal pressure tank from that came out of a commercial boiler system in a building that was torn down. No welding will be needed whhich is good. I have been reading lots about piping up storage into wood boilers on this site. I have seen the Caleffi diagrams, the primary secondary piping sticky by Bob Rohr etc. Most schematics show water flow charging storage and drawing off storage coming from top of buffer tank. The primary secondary sticky schematic shows supply and return at bottom of buffer tank. (Please feel free to chime in HR). I am set up good to follow the primary secondary schematic using a primary loop, hydralicly separting boiler and back up. It would seem it is best to supply water at bottom and return water from top of buffer using HR's diagram. Does this seem right or is there a reason both should be at bottom of tank I also thought about 3 closely spaced T's for buffer tank off primary loop, 1 to charge buffer at top,1 to draw from buffer at top, 1 common return at bottom of buffer. This would require appropriate flow check/ zone valve etc to make sure flow pattern was correct. Is this a crazy idea? Wolud this have control issues? My storage tank will be 40' from boiler/primary loop. I' ll have high temp, low temp, solar and backup loops coming off the primary loop in addition to the storage and boiler. thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.