having a stir rod better for pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huntingbuck101

Hearth Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Northern MN
I see some pellet stoves out there have a stir rod in the burn pot and some don't. One dealer will tell me for pellets you don't want it and the next will say you need it. who should I believe and why.

usually "stir rods" are found in stoves with "multifuel" capability. pellets generally burn to a lighter ash which clears the pot fairly readily, while corn tends to clump and cook into little "rice cake" textured clumps unless stirred to break them up. the stir rod also serves the purpose of helping to "crack" corn open so that it will burn more readily, this happens when the kernals are contacted by the rod while it is hot the corn almost pops allowing the fire to get at the inner portion of the corn kernal. most stoves designed for strictly pellet burning will not have a stir rod. some multi's burn better with the rod in and running others may not. one thing though , with pellets and a stir rod , while the pot may stay cleaner , the amount of "fly ash" will increase meaning shorter durations between cleaning the back areas and the flue system as this ash will carry further through the exhaust channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.