having one tough time splitting oak!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

misterprimus

Apr 27, 2021
NYC area
I have some oak from a while back and I am having quite the trouble splitting it! I have a mid-size splitting maul for the big stuff, a hatchet for the small stuff, and also a wedge + mid-size one-handed sledge for an alternative. Some of this wood just does NOT want to split! Other pieces split fine - even same species. Does anyone have any ideas? Trying to avoid big expenditures like on a log splitter. Perhaps I need to purchase a full-size felling axe to carve up the tough stuff, or should I go up in splitting maul size/weight? Perhaps it's just my technique.

You certainly need a big maul. I have an 8 pound Fiskars. Also you have a one handed sledge. You need the Big Boy! I have a 9 pound sledge hammer that I use with the splitting wedges.
Are you using a chopping block? Wood splits a lot better when it is on a chopping block, rather than just setting on the ground.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Is your maul bouncing off? Or are some pieces really stringy? Make sure your maul is sharp to get that point of entry opened up. Split off the sides first. Even it just a 2” slab. If it’s stringy it’s just is going to be hard. I like the fiskars 8 pound maul but it’s a workout to swing for more than 20 minutes. I will use the chainsaw to cut 1/3-1/2 down if it’s a really nasty piece. Then bust it with the maul.
Evan

Show us a picture of your tools and the round your trying to split.

Show us a picture of your tools and the round your trying to split.
I use that block for small items. I have a very short/wide oak piece for the bigger stuff (not pictured) or I just do it on asphalt.

Attachments

• chopblock.jpg
    chopblock.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 255
  • prob1.jpg
    prob1.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 249
  • prob2.jpg
    prob2.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 255
  • tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 258
Are you sure that's oak? It looks like elm with all of the stringy bits.

Are you sure that's oak? It looks like elm with all of the stringy bits.
I'm pretty sure it was oak. That's how they advertised it, anyway. Some of the toughest pieces of wood I've split! You can tell by the tons of axe marks that I really struggled. They also seem quite massive. Even the small pieces have quite a bit of weight to them.

Not sure if something like this would help:

Or should I just get a two-handed sledgehammer and try to hit that wedge?

That Collins 12 lb is a remake of the Monster Maul. I have one and it is a great maul. But the 8 pound Fiskars is better.
What is the weight of the maul you have?
As I said above, yes you need a real sledge hammer.

Or, maybe like paulnlee said "Get to the gym, pump some iron for 3 month's, or buy a splitter. "

That Collins 12 lb is a remake of the Monster Maul. I have one and it is a great maul. But the 8 pound Fiskars is better.
What is the weight of the maul you have?
As I said above, yes you need a real sledge hammer.

Or, maybe like paulnlee said "Get to the gym, pump some iron for 3 month's, or buy a splitter. "
Too lazy for that! Plus for the price of a gym membership, I can probably just buy a hand-operated hydraulic log splitter. I'm kinda trying to do this on the cheap, hence the checking on craigslist free stuff to find free wood.

Reactions: mcdougy
Doesn't look like oak to me. Most oak rounds are easy to split unless they are knotty. Its usually best to nibble around the perimeter with tougher wood. Sometimes you need to know your limitations with the materials and tools involved. Killing yourself isn't worth the $4 of splits in that round! How many cords to you plan to burn per year?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Doesn't look like oak to me. Most oak rounds are easy to split unless they are knotty. Its usually best to nibble around the perimeter with tougher wood. Sometimes you need to know your limitations with the materials and tools involved. Killing yourself isn't worth the $4 of splits in that round! How many cords to you plan to burn per year?
I mostly use it to cook meat 1-2 times a week in a charcoal grill. Otherwise, I occasionally use the fireplace during the winter.

I finished hand splitting a long time ago
bad back bad legs. This is my maul now

Attachments

• DSCF0898.JPG
    DSCF0898.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 238
If you can’t pound that wedge with the back of the maul it’s not worth the effort or expense. If you must get rid of it. Drill a line of 1/4” holes or use a hand saw to start the wedge 2-3” from the edge. If it has knots you might not be able to split it by hand.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Looks pretty similar to some laurel live oak I split this year.

Chainsaw 1/4 way through at an angle, try with a wedge. If still nothing, saw 1/3 through and try wedge again. Saw 1/2 way through, try wedge. I only do this when rounds are so big that I cannot lift the whole round.

Chainsaw 1/4 way through at an angle, try with a wedge. If still nothing, saw 1/3 through and try wedge again. Saw 1/2 way through, try wedge. I only do this when rounds are so big that I cannot lift the whole round.
He probably doesn't have a chainsaw.

if you sharpen it then it will be plenty of chainsaw.

Reactions: EbS-P
Take some vitamins...clancey How about one of those long saws sas sons---would that work just to chip off some of it...

With the right size file. I have taken apart some 16” trees with a sharp cheap 12” plug-in electric chainsaw.
A friend of mine down south had a tree come down in his suburban yard. He is adamant that he needs the biggest saw at the box store and I'm tryin to convince him to use the electric saw he already has. He keeps saying it won't work because it is electric, the tree is "too big" (maybe 16"), and the chain is "stretched". Some friends of ours are getting advanced in years, but still try and use their chainsaw. Last time I asked them not try and just to let me do the work. They were going to use an MS250 with the chain dangling a few inches from the bar and the tensioner was stuck...

Just buy a splitter, at least for the tough pieces. It will save you time and energy that you will be glad to have back.
Every time I finally do things like that, that I have been thinking about doing for years, I wish I had done it sooner.

I made a 4 way wedge for my splitter last year and it easily cut my splitting time/effort by at least 3x. We had 25 cord to split, and I did most of it with the single wedge. The 4 way made a world of difference. I had a friend helping me and he experienced the before and after of the 4 way and said he could not believe how much faster it was. He still splits by hand and is going on 70. I take my splitter over to help him out.