Hay for kindling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brown2016

Jan 6, 2018
Young Harris
We live in a very damp place during winter months. Lots of rain often. It's hard to gather any good twigs or what have for you kindling. Someone said it is good to use hay to start a fire in the stove. Is this recommended? Our stove has an outside air intake. The entire unit was installed this past Summer and it is hard to get a good rolling fire going. As soon as you close the door...It goes out even with the damper opened wide. It's frustrating. It was recommended to get a really hot fire going as fast as you can and I was told about Hay. Any recommendations?

Well the Ingalls family used hay tied up tightly to keep warm in The Long Winter . . . but that said . . . I think I would personally stick with nice, dry kindling which I keep under cover after seasoning. If I was having problems keeping the fire going after lighting the fire I might keep the firebox door ajar a bit since some stoves need a little extra air to get going.

I would think that hay would burn up too quick to get the wood going, but I'd be interested if you found that it worked. I make pretty good fire starters out of lint, egg cartons, and wax; others here swear by super cedars--either way, there is little need for kindling.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I don't think that hay is a good fire starter...it is just to short lived..if you are having to rekindle a lot of fires in your damp environment I would think you would have to put a long range plan into effect to ensure you have dry kindling on hand...can you scrounge lumber scraps? Pine? If not I would use what ever is available and split it small enough and store it in a dry area in containers if need be....some use hand held propane torches to achieve light off...and as others have already mentioned wax based starters are a good choice....out of curiosity...can you post pics of your stove set up or describe with as much detail what you and where you live? This information may trigger some additional info. for you.

Any house construction going on nearby? See if you could get any solid wood scraps (NOT plywood, particle board, or other scraps that may have chemicals/glue added). Even if they are wet you could let them dry.

If your rolling fire dies when the door is closed you may have a wet fuel issue. Purchase/borrow a moisture meter. Research the topic here. Prepare to read!

Reactions: fbelec
If you have firewood, you have kindling. Just add hatchet.

Your stove problems sound like wet wood, though. I'd get some softwood under cover now for next year, and get some hardwood covered for 2-3 years out.

Reactions: fbelec