Heading to NH to get my Woodstock, what accessories should I pick up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sksmass

Dec 21, 2009
Western MA
I am off on a road trip to NH to pick out a stove at Woodstock Soapstone Stoves tomorrow!
What accessories do you think I should get at the same time?

I'm thinking I should probably get the "Maintainance kit" ($40)

... and I know I need the rear heat shield ($80)

...and just for fun I think I want a pair of boot warmers ($8)

But what about these optional things?

Is a catalytic probe thermometer? ($26) a handy device?

I am also tempted by these extra stone "cook top" stones that sit on top of the stove. Not because I plan on cooking, but just to provide some extra thermal mass. Unnecessary?

I already have good stove gloves and will be getting some chimney rods and brush separately.

You could pick me up a set of those small boot warmers and send them my way as an early Christmas present for me! :)

Enjoy your stove! :)

Shari

I don't have a rock stove but I would definitely get the cook top stone. You do not want to scratch up or spill stuff on the top of that stove body. And I can't imagine a cat stove owner not wanting to know what the temp is in that cat.

I am off on a road trip to NH to pick out a stove at Woodstock Soapstone Stoves tomorrow!
What accessories do you think I should get at the same time?

I’m thinking I should probably get the “Maintainance kit” ($40)

... and I know I need the rear heat shield ($80)

...and just for fun I think I want a pair of boot warmers ($8)

But what about these optional things?

Is a catalytic probe thermometer? ($26) a handy device?

I am also tempted by these extra stone “cook top” stones that sit on top of the stove. Not because I plan on cooking, but just to provide some extra thermal mass. Unnecessary?

I would get all of them, please get me some boot warmers also. You have to pass close by my house on your way up so you could drop them off :lol:

If your buying the Fireview get the ash holder, it works great. I'd pass on the cat thermometer, not really needed, get an extra mag thermometer for your pipe.

We are heading up to our friend's yurt on Sunday. I figure Maker's Mark will complement the Morso nicely. (He's a Kentucky boy.)

When are you heading there? Next weekend perhaps for the big bbq party? I hope so as then we could meet each other. We plan on being there both days.

As for accessories, I'd skip the maintenance kit for now as you won't need that for a few years. I'd also skip the cat probe.

We have not yet tried the extra stone for the stove top so can not comment except to say that the stove top thermometer would not give the true reading with the extra stone. Also, see below.

Boot warmers! By all means! They are great. Buy two pair if you can. Before you put them on the stove top, remove the chains; they are not needed and would only tend to scratch the stove. We use these to set the pots and pans on that we cook in. Works like a charm.

Glove warmers! Same thing as the boot warmers only smaller.

The boot and glove warmers we bought were one of the best purchases for us. I cut almost all the wood when the weather is cold. Before heading to the woods, I put a pair of boot warmers or glove warmers inside an extra pair of gloves and then wrap them up in a heavy towel. Then when the gloves get wet or the hands get cold, I simply dig out the warm pair and that is a wonderful thing for cold hands! God definitely had to have made these jewels!

The ash holder. This works great with the Fireview as it is the perfect height. Just slide it up to the fire door and scoop the ashes in. The lid closes and no dust and no spilled ashes. This is a real heavy weight item too so will last many, many moons. It is not totally necessary but just one of those really nice things to have.

An extra thermometer. You can buy stove thermometers in several places.....and get junk. We've been given thermometers as gifts and purchased a few. However, the only ones that seemed to work good for us are the ones we bought from Woodstock. It is really nice to have one thermometer on the stove top and another on the stove pipe as that really gives you a good picture of what is happening in there. They are cheap; get an extra one or two.

Good luck to you and congratulations on the new stove. I hope you will post pictures later.

weatherguy said:
I would get all of them, please get me some boot warmers also. You have to pass close by my house on your way up so you could drop them off :lol:

How would anyone be able to drop them off as you do not have your location in your signature line?

Thanks Dennis and everyone else who chimed in! Here is the summary of today's road trip:

I was so excited last night that I couldn't sleep and I woke up an hour early at 5am. I was on the road by 6:30am to be at Woodstock Stove Co (WSC) by the time they opened. The reason I decided to go up there this weekend instead of next weekend is that I really like to "kick the tires" and tend to hem and haw and spend a lot of time making decisions. So, going this weekend allowed me to compare stoves in relative calm. Next weekend's festivities will keep all the staff very busy.

I am pretty particular about the stone I want. I want a Fireview (FV) with stone that has some character, marbling, and a slight, not loud greenish tint to it. Oh, and in the matte black cast iron frame. So, the plan was for me to go up there and if a stove matched those specs I would take it home today. If I couldn't find a stove with those specs, then I was going to look through the stack of unfinished stones and "build my own" which WSC would fabricate next week and I would pick up the following weekend (which would give me an excuse to come back for the mortgage-burning party!)

So, I got to WSC shortly after 9am and met with Ron. I'll verify the truth of all the stories you've read on hearth.com about how helpful WSC staff are. Really, unbelievably helpful. Ron first took me to the shipping area and showed me a couple of black FVs. Neither of them "spoke to me" so Ron took me back to the manufacturing floor and uncovered about ten more black FVs. All of them were pretty, and unique in their own ways, but again, no single one leapt out at me. But Ron didn't mind. He kept uncovering more FVs while I basically did laps around the floor touching and eyeballing all the stoves. I probably was there comparing stoves for a good hour. Ron kept uncovering more and more stoves until finally about 25 black FVs were uncovered and within that group were a number of definite contenders. The trick then became to narrow down the universe to a few I liked the most.

Of course I was hemming and hawing, as is my nature, and I called my wife to describe a couple of the stoves to her. Ron suggested that we send her some digital pictures. I narrowed down the field to three stoves. Ron pulled them out so I could see all sides of them. He took pictures of those three and emailed them to my wife.

Then I called my wife on the phone and she eliminated one of the contenders. Then I picked the final winner from the remaining two. Pictures are attached of the stove I picked out. She's purty huh?

Now, I had planned to have WSC load the stove right into my pickup. But when I was actually there in person, and saw the stove, and I thought about what could go wrong, I got nervous about my ability to wrestle the thing off my truck alone. I am a cautious guy. I got nervous that hurricane Earl might rain on it, or I might accidentally dump the stove off my tailgate, or the ramps would break or something like that. So, I opted to just have WSC ship the stove to my installer. I would have liked to save the $100 shipping (heck, I was already there with my truck!) but I am just going to call that $100 in shipping a form of insurance. I'd hate to save $100 at the showroom and then destroy the $2200 stove in my driveway. Some things I'll leave to professionals and this, I decided, was one of them. So, after driving all that way, I actually left stoveless! But I did put a deposit on the stove in the pictures.

While I was there Ron gave me a factory tour. He showed me the stone fab area, the casting machining area, the paint booth, and the R&D area. I will not be a spoiler and give away anything about the new stove before the mortgage burning party. I'll just say that I am sure the hearth.com regulars will have plenty to report on. Ron called the prototype, which is pretty rough to look at, the "Frankenstove" which I found amusing. There are lots of probes and wires sticking out of it. Ron also said that WSC's blog's description of the design as "more contemporary" is somewhat off. He said it would be less ornate and Victorian than the FV. More clean lines and less filigree-type detail. Not "contemporary" as in Ikea-like.

Dennis, it would have been great to meet you in person at the party. I had secretly hoped that I wouldn't find a stove that told me, "take me home!" In that case I would have picked out the raw stones and come back the following for the party and to to pick up the finished stove and meet all the good hearth.com folks.

I really appreciate all the good advice that you and all my new hearth.com friends have offered me as I get deeper into this woodburning addiction!

Attachments

• 20136_1.jpg
    20136_1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 338
  • 20136_2.jpg
    20136_2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 336
Well, OK, so you bought a stove...but what accessories did you pick up? Just trying to keep the thread on-topic. :p Rick

fossil said:
Well, OK, so you bought a stove...but what accessories did you pick up? Just trying to keep the thread on-topic. :p Rick

None! I decided I'd just rather get them all shipped. So on Tuesday when I call WSC to arrange a shipping date I'll just add them to my order. But I think it will be:
Two magnetic surface thermometers
Two pair boot warmers (one small, one large)
Rear clearance kit
Pilgrim ash pan

I asked Ron about putting the cooking stones on top for extra thermal mass and he basically confirmed that adding a little extra rock to the already massive stove would be immaterial.

sksmass said:
fossil said:

None! I decided I'd just rather get them all shipped. So on Tuesday when I call WSC to arrange a shipping date I'll just add them to my order. But I think it will be:
Two magnetic surface thermometers
Two pair boot warmers (one small, one large)
Rear clearance kit
Pilgrim ash pan

I asked Ron about putting the cooking stones on top for extra thermal mass and he basically confirmed that adding a little extra rock to the already massive stove would be immaterial.

Magnetic surface thermometers?

What the heck kinda stone is Woodstock using on them things...somarium cobalt?

Hehehe...

Damn purdy thing it is fer sure.

sksmass, your report of your visit to Woodstock just adds to the many reports by satisfied customers of Woodstock. They truly are a great company with great people. I am really looking forward to finally seeing the place and meeting some of those fine folks. And that indeed is a pretty stove.

Somehow it just does not surprise me about what Ron did to help you choose the stove. It sounds as if he took a lot of time with you and that was great to send pictures to your wife so even at home she could help you choose. This is just another example of trying to satisfy a customer. They are there to help and it sounds like they did. Glad you got to take a tour of the factory too.

As for the shipping, that would have been difficult for me to do! I'd simply have let them load it onto the truck and head home with it now! However, I understand why you chose the way you did. You are going to end up with a beautiful stove that will add to your home's decor and will enjoy the heat too.

A few words of caution though.

First, read the manual.

Second, do a good burn-in of the stove. Here is how we did it:

1. Put some kindling in the stove and light it. Just let it burn all the way out and let the stove cool.
2. Put kindling in and a couple of small splits. Lite it and let it burn all the way out, then let the stove cool.
3. This time add 4 splits to the kindling. Let that thing burn and open a few windows in case you have any smoke or odor from paint (we didn't have any from the stove but did the stove pipe). Let that thing burn.
4. Now you are ready for the heating season. Enjoy.

Third, the first time you see the "flames of Hell" do not become alarmed! When you get a good fire going the first time and suddenly see the flames lift to the top of the stove and they start really rolling, sit back and enjoy the show rather than panic! lol It is a beautiful flame.

Sorry we could not meet at Woodstock....but you still have a week to decide that maybe your wife would like to see the Woodstock factory too! Might even enjoy some good food and music while you are there.

That is one gorgeous stove! Well worth every second of deliberation. You can pick out my new stove anytime... wouldn't mind also paying for it, would you? :)

She's a good looker, you did good and will be very happy with the performance.

Great report . . . and the bit about the "Frankenstove" is now really peaking my curiousity.

Status
Not open for further replies.