heard a good one - bad situation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't disagree more on this subject. while many people probably did learn from a loved one's teaching....I have to imagine many many more people learned from curiosity or the teaching in school. In fact, people pursue degrees generally based on an interest that they personally care for....whether it was taught to them by a loved one or simply peaked their interest at a young age. It is not safe to say "if you know it, most of the time, someone taught it".
I think we have just had different observations. People do tend to pick professions based on interests..but I thought we were talking about common sense and working with our hands?
I don't disagree with you. Don't underestimate the influence a family has on ones choices in learning a trade or picking a major.

I think we have just had different observations. People do tend to pick professions based on interests..but I thought we were talking about common sense and working with our hands?
I don't disagree with you. Don't underestimate the influence a family has on ones choices in learning a trade or picking a major.
i agree, mine was zero influence lol.

I have a 4 year degree in History but have never used it in a profession. I was a starting soccer player in school, studied lots of History and English literature, and got to know quite a few coeds. I had so much fun it ought to have been illegal.
No, I am a blue collar man. Worked as a paramedic for 14 years, now am an over the road truck driver. Along the way I have become an expert custom log cabin builder. I just took 10 months off of work to build a log cabin addition to my house and it is beautiful if I do say so. Got raw logs from the sawmill and cut the dovetail notches with chisels and big saws etc.
Also, I built the fireplace pictured at left, I bought two books on the subject and built it all by myself. Draws very well and is a good heater, if you can believe that.

I didn't learn Jack from my dad or any relatives, my dad was a klutz, couldn't even build a bird house. I am either self taught, or, for log building went to a school at age 36.
I was always obsessed with log cabins and wilderness living even as a kid, lived in suburban Atlanta and couldn't have been farther removed from these things. I think I lived on the frontier in a past life and I have spent my entire life trying to get back to 1795.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
Status
Not open for further replies.