Hearing protectors with am/fm radio…

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

savageactor7

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
CNY
…check it out.

Last thursday I scored a pair of “Peltor work tunes 22” hearing protectors at the local dealer ... Jeff Kahler.

The 1st pair I got were just FM…well he graciously took them back and ordered me these.
Since last Thursday I’ve used them in AM mode with my chain saw, 4 wheeler, Kubota and cub cadet 1440.

They’re almost perfect with the chainsaw and the cub cadet…btw I didn’t have a chance to turn on the electrical PTO so that may generate an interference field…I dunno but will report back in a couple 3 weeks.

They run fine with the Kubota too now with the 4 wheeler (Suzuki Eiger) there is a pronounced static field but when you turn on the headlight it diminishes.

Now if you listen to music that will be unacceptable but sports talk or any talk is fine. Paid 89 dollars and it takes 2 AA batteries. What a pleasure it is to do field work while listening to the radio…

...the worm has turned for me.

3357916070_ca8d7bedc6.jpg

Having used them for the last 4 days I’ll never be without ‘em…matter of fact when I’m asked what I want for Christmas or Fathers day I gonna ask for a another pair.

I been wearing ear protection since the 70’s and the protection offered here is an solid as you can get from any ear muff type...and the radio isn't screaming in your ear either.

The only caveat is you’ll have to read the directions on how to make the fit larger or smaller. I could explain it to you but why bother? It’s tricky and not as easy as conventional ear muffs. But it can be done...just don't strong arm it like you would with conventional ear protection.

The fit is comfortable and the volume on/off knob can be done with gloves, same for station tuning. The AM/FM mode is recessed ...to change that you'll have to take 'em off.

About three or four years ago I tried a pair of radio ear muffs while using the weed trimmer, chainsaw and tractor. For an hour or so I thought they were great. Then I noticed I was being distracted by the radio I enjoyed so much and became fearful of having an accident because I was not paying close enough attention to what I was doing. It seems that in my case, at least, I need the sound and feel of the machine to keep me focused on the (usually) potentially dangerous job at hand.

A good buddy wears his radio ear muffs almost all the time while working outdoors. He says he has no problem at all with proper concentration. It seems that you and he share the same ability to concentrate on the task at hand and are not distracted by the radio. I wish I had that ability.

I guess it is a personal preference decision.

Best wishes, and good listening.

John_M

Have had a pair for a couple years and really like them. My truck has XM radio that will broadcast on an unused FM frequency, If my truck is near where I'm working I can listen to that also on them. I think they are well worth the money.

They also sale some with MP3 plug-in's.

I have a pair of headphones that I was using with my scanner for NASCAR purposes. Which knocks out 35 decibels, which now I plug into my walkman, to have some subtule tunes in the background. Just enough to hear the tunesbut not enough to not what is going on.

KC

I spend about four ours a week on my mower during mowing season. I started grabbing the hearing protectors that I use when I go to the shooting range, and putting in my earbuds underneath.

I ride around on the mower and listen to a bunch of podcasts. I find that mowing season is the only part of the year that I can actually keep up with all the shows that I like to listen to.

-SF

Dear sir, I can understand using this for driving purposes but for the safety that is required I would want all of my senses to be focused on the operation of the saw. I would rather listen to how my saw is performing than listening to a radio. Just my own personal preferences, and yes I do use ear protection also gloves ext, Ken

I put ear buds under my regular hearing protectors. Total cost: under $40.
Not as cool as those, though...

Ken said:

Dear sir, I can understand using this for driving purposes but for the safety that is required I would want all of my senses to be focused on the operation of the saw. I would rather listen to how my saw is performing than listening to a radio. Just my own personal preferences, and yes I do use ear protection also gloves ext, Ken

I'm not sure why the sound of the saw would help more than the feel of it, but I will say this: I cringe every time I see a bicyclist with headphones on.

I hate to see people driving their cars with headphones on also. They block out too much of the environment around you. Although, I don't know how it's any different than driving with the stereo bumping and rattling the license plates and car parts.

I listen to talk programming (I don't even think I have any music on my iPod right now), which generally allows me to hear other noises in the environment more easily than if I were listening to music.

-SF

In Calif., at least, wearing headphones while operating any vehicle (INCLUDING a bicycle) is strictly prohibited.

And personally, I am skeptical of my own ability to focus sufficiently on the task at hand while wearing a radio on my head (basically). You all may be perfectly competent while doing so, but me, naw. I'll stick to regular ear-muff style hearing protectin (I despise ear-plugs of any kind, but that is simply a comfort issue).

Peace,
- Sequoia

Just an update on the Peltor work tunes 22 I purchased in March.

Been cutting grass almost daily if it's not raining and really appreciate the radio. The electric PTO doesn't effect the sound at all. This is the best thing tool wise, to happen to me since I got my wood splitter. How fine and dandy it is to do drudge labor accompanied by the radio. All in all it makes a long day shorter.

Initially I used it with the chain saw and thought it was adequate for AM but not up to par for music. And that's the same I feel now with probably 100+ hrs work. The chain saw is probable the least friendly tool you can use with the headphones but thankfully they work well enough to follow sports talk and make cutting more enjoyable.

Also the hearing protection is as good as, equal to or better than the 3 other pro hearing muffs we have. Having had the pleasure of their company this long...I'll never ever be without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.