Hearth Blowers w/ Fireplace insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SmokeyDude

Dec 21, 2017
Colorado
Hey All:

I would like to know if using my hearth's blowers (see picture, intake on floor, vertical slat outputs) in tandem with my Jotul 550 insert's blowers would be an effective and efficient way to move more hot air around the house. I was told by my local stove retailer that these type of hearth blowers are not very good at pushing air around. I wanted to get a second opinion, so here I am. The hearth warms up nicely after about an hour of burn, and stays hot for several hours after my firebox burns out -- it seems like this setup would work well. My hearth blowers are not currently wired (the installers of my insert used the hearth blower wiring to power the insert's blowers) so i am trying to determine if hiring an electrician to rewire the hearth blowers is worth it or not. Thanks for the help!
Hearth Blowers w/ Fireplace insert?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the fireplace design and whether they had to cut through heat tubes in order to run the liner. Put a small portable fan in front of them and see how it works.

Too bad your installers disconnected them. I don't see how it could hurt (other than your wallet) to move air around,
but you will probably feel a cool draft around your feet as that moving air gets sucked into the lower vents.
If this was MY house I would rewire them myself, but I play around with electricity a lot & I know
I can make good, secure connections...