Hearth build material recipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hct4all

Hearth Supporter
Mar 28, 2010
Western, PA
I am installing my new Englander NC 13. Combustible floor protection of a 2 R-Value.

Plywood Floor
Backer board (.2) Hardibacker 4 x 8 sheets)
Steel 2X4
3 layers of .5" Drywall (1.35)(.45 each)
2 Backer board (.4)
Ceramic Tile (,02)

Total R-value 1.97

I this overkill? or not enough?

I am sure that the steel studs/air has some R-value but it is not listed on the sweeps library chart. I would prefer to forgo the drywall.

It seems that I am in a desert of micore dealers unless Lowes/HD carries it under a different name.

Drywall is not appropriate with its paper backing. Add R = 1.0 for the air space instead. Hardibacker is not true cement board, see if you can get the original Wonderboard or Durock @ R .52/inch. Also, ask around locally to see if you can get mineral board which is a generic name for Micore.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Hearth_Design/

Dave,

I found some of that at McMaster Carr. Very reasonable. Thank you! I take it that I do not put it under the studs. Will 3 layers of cement board 2 on top one on bottom stop the heat transference from the studs?

Thanks,

Rick

My experiments show that very little heat is transfered down the stud. I left a "probe" hole in several points in my build just so I could play with it.. (what can I say, an engineers mind is what it is..)

When running 24/7, 20°F outside, 74°F or better inside, the bottom flange of my steel 2x4's was 1-2 degrees above ambient. My biggest area of concern was on the sides, as my install is right on the minimums of side clearances, but back probing to the face of the first combustable surface showed 0 temperature gain above the suface temp away from the heat source.

If you want, take a look at the link in my signature line, ask any questions you may have, as it sounds you are going about the same way, just don't need as high of numbers as we did.

Dakotas Dad said:
My experiments show that very little heat is transfered down the stud. I left a "probe" hole in several points in my build just so I could play with it.. (what can I say, an engineers mind is what it is..)

When running 24/7, 20°F outside, 74°F or better inside, the bottom flange of my steel 2x4's was 1-2 degrees above ambient. My biggest area of concern was on the sides, as my install is right on the minimums of side clearances, but back probing to the face of the first combustable surface showed 0 temperature gain above the suface temp away from the heat source.

If you want, take a look at the link in my signature line, ask any questions you may have, as it sounds you are going about the same way, just don't need as high of numbers as we did.

Not to rob your thread but I am about to put a Summit in my basement. My plan is to lay a 3/4" plywood down, then cement board and then ceramic tile. Is this acceptable?

SKIN052 said:
Not to rob your thread but I am about to put a Summit in my basement. My plan is to lay a 3/4" plywood down, then cement board and then ceramic tile. Is this acceptable?

I don't know what the requirments for the Summit are.. But your owners manual should tell you what you need, and what R-values you need to have(if any). I know the Jotul Oslo only requires "ember protection", and for lack of a better way to put that's the polar opposite of what our install required.

If your basement floor is concrete like mine, you should be able to just put the tile right down on it. I would not ADD a cumbustible under the stove if I didn't need to, that's for sure.

SKIN052 said:
Dakotas Dad said:

The Summit just requires ember protection. You will be fine with your plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.