Hearth Building - Did anyone use Slate Tiles? Do they flake or chip?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

On my second raised hearth, I am cosidering slate tiles because of the rich colors.

Has anyone used slate? Do they wear ok without flaking and chipping?

Attachments

• TRHShedPS170 (2)sc.jpg
    TRHShedPS170 (2)sc.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 375
  • TRHShed180SlateTiles.jpg
    TRHShed180SlateTiles.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 370

Attachments

• TRHShed180PSslateSealer.jpg
    TRHShed180PSslateSealer.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 307
GrahamInVa said:
Nice looking raised hearth by the way Don. I wanted to do mine raised but my wife didn't want to. And of course she wins... but i'm happy, i like the way it turned out.

Thanks, The raised hearth makes the stove look bigger. :)

Also I framed an openning that I may put a small hinged door on to store tools like the pellet vent cleaning brush and other stuff. :)

When I lived in Chicago, my entire kitchen floor was black slate. It was sealed heavily with perhaps an epoxy clear coat. That might be an option if you thin it out with alcohol so it flows easily.

Don2222 said:
GrahamInVa said:
I used slate tile on my hearth. I haven't had any issues really. I had a few flakes after installing it but it's not a smooth surface so you don't even notice.

I applied a "wet" look sealer which should help out with any wear or stains. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-quart-WET...ultDomain_0&hash=item3ef175b2f0#ht_794wt_1163

Oh, very nice thanks for the pics too!

I really like the idea of a wet look sealer. Does it need to be re-sealed every year?

Since the slate doesn't get foot traffic I wouldn't think it would need resealing yearly. I applied 3 coats on mine, the slate really sucks it up.

I have also used the stuff below on a slate floor I once had, it works well too and has a "wetter" look.

Also, if you haven't already noticed, slate tile is really cheap. I think all my slate for my hearth was $30.

11238.jpg

Don, slate works just fine.

I used it and didn't seal it, you should make certain to use a non flammable sealant.

The master bath in my house is all slate
it is holding up very well
there is one piece that has a black vein in it
the black rubs off

Status
Not open for further replies.