Hearth Cat Brand? New info!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsum4562

Hearth Supporter
Jun 7, 2009
Central MO
We are wanting to put a wood stove in our 1900 sq ft earth contact home as a possible heat alternative, and as an emergency heat source. Since we aren't sure how much we will really use it we are looking for a used stove to save some cost. We have found an old (relative term - it LOOKS old?) in a barn. It says HEARTH CAT on it, and we assume this is a brand. It is oblong shaped, 33" x 22", is side loaded and has a glass view port that doesn't open. We know nothing but what we have learned from friends, and what we have read on this forum (which is actually considerable), but can't find anything about this particular stove. Anyone out there have any info? A web site of a location for obtaining literature? Anything would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

We found a tag!.....you were right on "Admin'.

Mfr
Webster Stove, 3112 LaSalle, St. Louis
Model Hearthcat II
also has a serial number......

Now we need to find out if it is 'UL Certified' (correct phrase?) as our insurance company (not to mention our peace of mind) requires it.

I would also like to know if it matters much if a stove is bigger than required for a given space. Can't you just build a smaller fire?

Thanks to all who looked at our earlier post.........we are going to try to get a picture posted soon, also.

Hah, can't believe I got that one!
I deserve the Hearth.com Sherlock prize for this week.

Chances are that it was UL approved - but it may be hard to prove it. I will dig around in my magazines.

A vastly oversized stove is not a good idea. Stoves burn better (cleaner, more efficient) when used to medium to higher level.

Status
Not open for further replies.