Hearth Depth for a Wood Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamE

Feb 3, 2013
Collegeville, Pa.
I've been reading through all kinds of stuff - including NFPA 211 - to find out how much my hearth needs to stick out when I install a wood insert in my existing fireplace. I'm still confused though.

Right now, the hearth is close to 19" from the face of the fireplace, but some of the inserts I'm looking at protrude quite a bit. I've also seen different numbers like 10", 13" and 16".

Can someone tell me what the correct amount of hearth I need in front of the insert? This is for the U.S. (Pa.).

Thanks!

16" from the face of the door in the us unless specified otherwise

You need to go by the manufacturer clearance numbers, which you have found vary by model/make.

exactly most are 16" but some are less some are more you need to check each stove

You need to go by the manufacturer clearance numbers, which you have found vary by model/make.

This is the only reference you need...the manufacturer's specifications in the owner/installation manual. Rick

If your existing hearth is too short for a protruding insert, you don't need to rebuild your hearth, you can buy a Hearth Extension. These can range in appearance from pure utilitarian black steel plate to elaborate tile, and in price from $50 to many hundreds for a custom sized extension. I got mine for about $70 from Amazon and have been completely happy with it.

TE

Status
Not open for further replies.