Hearth extension advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Earlnemo

Nov 19, 2020
knox county, tn
I've just replaced my terrible old slammer insert with a new Intrepid. My existing tile hearth extends 19" from the lintel, stove door is currently about 4" back from the edge of that, so I plan to add 12" as shown, with the little returns on the sides to make it look a little more "intentional". If we have funds next summer, we will take all of the tile up and do all of this proper. Here is the question part. Existing tile sits at 1/2" above wood floor at highest -1/8" at lowest. Some of this is due to floor refinishing - more was sanded out straight out from to remove old fireplace burns, and less on either side. Some of this is also just the nature of old house floors. But there is no bounce, everything is sound and strong, just a little bent out of shape (as am I). Plan #1 was to put a 1/4" sheet of hardibacker under the tile and mud/grout conventionally. The problem with this is that this added tile will be as much as 1/2" higher than existing, especially on the sides where it returns to the wall. Some now I am considering just putting a sheet of aluminum flashing under the tile, and glueing the tile to that. In either case this the tile will be surround/locked in by a band of quarter round trim. The 1/8" inch joints will all be sealed with high temp silicone. Also note - we have fired the stove for a week, broke it in first and have taken it briefly to 650. It does not heat up this tile much at all, so I don't think I have a heat shield issue as much as an ash/ember issue.
IMG_6183.jpeg

It's hard to tell from the picture. Does the stove have the bottom heat shield attached? If so, only ember protection is required. This could be just a nice sheet of copper or stainless. For tile, it sounds like the job would be easier to cut out the flooring where the tile will go. That will provide the depth needed to flush the tile out with the brick.

It's hard to tell from the picture. Does the stove have the bottom heat shield attached? If so, only ember protection is required. This could be just a nice sheet of copper or stainless. For tile, it sounds like the job would be easier to cut out the flooring where the tile will go. That will provide the depth needed to flush the tile out with the brick.
Yes, bottom heat shield in place, just need ember protection. I'm not sure how you see "cutting out the footing out" as easier that what I am proposing to do? There is no brick involved : existing red tile and the sand colored is my extension. I hope to find time & $$ to do as you suggest this summer, and replace ALL of the tile. The wife wants smaller tiles, certain colors, blablabla. But we also have a loong honey-do list....

edit - tile I have cut and placed is effectively flush with existing if I leave out the 1/4" backboard and use aluminum underneath instead

I posted cut the flooring out.

Last edited:
The perfect is the enemy of the good? The existing heart tile is not perfect flat, some are cracked, and we don't like the color anyway. If I can wait until summer and pull the stove, I can replace the whole thing in a perfectly matched plane, with tile that the wife likes. Also going to need to either pour a extension under that to anchor back to chimney, or add some columns under to insure the added 12" does not flex independent of existing hearth. And If I can't get those stains off the brick I might tile over that too. The wife wants to paint it, but I hate paint because you have to keep doing it.