hearth extension R=2.0

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PWash

Oct 21, 2014
WA
Just installed my CW2900 insert and am very happy so far. Since I do not have a raised hearth, my manual specifies floor protection that extends 29" from the insert's door and requires a non-combustible material with R factor minimum of 2.0. My current hearth extends only 18" from the fireplace opening but the insert sits 3" outside so I need an additional 14 inch extension.

I saw a type 2 hearth extender linked by some other threads, but it only lists R value of 1.56 (http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Wood-...ns/HY-C-Black-Type-2-Hearth-Extension-18-x-48). Could I use that mat with a 1" piece of roxul placed underneath? I'd like to find an inexpensive mat, otherwise I may just try cutting out the carpet/floor and extend the tile on top of some durock or micore, although that would be a whole lot of hearth.. Can you recommend any other options for me?

hearth_ext_needed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.