1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Hearth Extension Substarte

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by pine138, Dec 10, 2011.

1. pine138

pine138 New Member

Loc:
    Southwestern Maine
    I am in the process of replacing my old wood insert with a new one and let me tell you, it has been quite the learning experience! Anyway, one of the things I have learned is that I need to install a hearth extension for my fireplace. My fireplace has a 17" brick hearth that is raised 10 inches above the plywood subfloor. The user manual of the stove I intend to buy indicates a minimum thickness of 0.5 inches and a thermal conductivity K factor of 0.84. If I did my research and math correctly, that translates to a R factor of 0.05 using the formula R = (1/K x 12) x T, where T = thickness in inches. Given that Durock cement board has an R of 0.26 per half inch, I am thinking that I will be OK with a 0.5 inch Durock substrate. Is that correct? Also, is there a special kind of thinset that should be used?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Welcome to the forum pine! Durock Nexgen has an R-value of 0.39 per 1/2" the original Durock was 0.26.. I used thinset cement between the floor and the cement board and between all other layers.. Have fun!

Ray