Hearth Floor Extension for Englander Insert and hopefully final piece of the puzzle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkirk22

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2007
VA Mountains
I'm planning a fireproof floor extension in front of my insert but the manual is vague:

The firebox on your insert will extend out eight inches (8”) from the face of the fireplace, so you will
need at least sixteen inches (16”) in front of the door. If you do not have this, it will require you to
place an approved floor protector in front of the stove (such as a hearth extender shield).

The manual goes on to explain K and R values but to my knowledge it does not list what those values should be for this insert.

From reading the other posts, I know that 18" is the new 16" but what R or K value should I use?

I don't want to limit my stove options by putting down too little protection. I see that the Bodega Bay specifies k=.84.
Is that a good minimum to shoot for?

Kirk

Wait for Mike or Corie from Englander to respond, they will set you straight. My guess is there is no R value just a non combustable floor surface such as grouted tile, slate etc

nshif said:
Wait for Mike or Corie from Englander to respond, they will set you straight. My guess is there is no R value just a non combustable floor surface such as grouted tile, slate etc

I just called the ESW factory. The tech asked if it was in a brick fireplace and then said "no floor protection....not for an insert". Maybe he misunderstood. I don't know. I didn't bother pursuing.

I called Drolet on a whim because the inserts are somewhat similar. The tech there said 18" in front of the door made of anything non-combustible.

I suppose you are right. ESW requirement is for a non-combustible surface but some municipalities may require a stricter protection so they include the equations. ???

Now how do I make the appropriate floor?
I want to keep the floor protection as low as possible and go with the .84k that the bodega bay requires.

Currently I have a thin layer of soap stone in front of the firebox which I presume is laid directly on the hard wood floor. I'm thinking I should cut out everything down to the floor joists and then build up from there with a layer of 24 gauge galvanized metal, thinset, micor, thinset, and then 1" granite. That should meet the specs but is it strong enough or should I do something else such as add a plywood base if there isn't already one? I could also use thicker metal such as 1/8" but it won't be galvanized.

Any suggestions?

Id pull everything down to the sub floor ( below the hardwood ). Micor is pretty soft stuff thats somewhat flexable so may want to put down one layer of duroc thinset to the top of the micor so you dont start poping tiles

Figure out what stove first. Many just require a continuous, non-combustible ember shield. This could be as simple as a sheet of metal or a nice tiled extension, or a hearth extender. There are lots of options.

BeGreen said:
Figure out what stove first. Many just require a continuous, non-combustible ember shield. This could be as simple as a sheet of metal or a nice tiled extension, or a hearth extender. There are lots of options.

I'm putting in an Englander but I don't want to get locked into one stove. I like the looks of the bay window inserts and years from now I might decide to put one in if the Englander proves to be too small for my taste. I'll need to extend the floor protection anyway and I figured I may as well make it big enough for a larger insert or a different insert that needs a higher level of floor protection.

Sounds like a good plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.