Hearth or Hearth products wanted.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skiracers

Mar 7, 2010
Juneau, Alaska
We recently purchased a Hearthstone Heritage locally here in Juneau, Alaska. The stove requires a hearth R value of 1.2. The floor is porcelain tile with 1/4" of Hardy backer. Total R value is less then .2. I see on a # of forums that Micro Fiber Board (Micor 160, or Micor 300) or Ceramic Board (Rescor 360 or Fiberfax Duraboard) are recommended. We are looking for either the insulation and tile material to build a hearth that would somewhat match the soapstone on the Heritage, or a pre-made mantle. Suggestions please. I can arrange for shipping from the Puget Sound area.
Doug Wahto
[email protected]

I had a customer that ran into the same issue: they built a steel framed hearth w/ a 2" deep hollow space, and filled the void w/ roxul insulation before putting on the upper supports and hardibacker w/ tile.

For the finish, you can get all sorts of colors and textures of ceramic tile that will make the stove stand out and look really nice. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.