Hearth Pad Build for Mount Vernon AE Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottBall

Aug 7, 2014
Annapolis
We recently purchased a Quadra-Fire Mount Vernon AE stove on clearance. Installer just wants me to buy a pre-fabricated pad. I understand he's just trying to keep us safe, ease the installation process, protect himself from liability, etc, but we wanted more info on approved materials. In the end, he directed us to Quadra-Fire. And...you guessed it...QF directed us back to the installer! Could use some advice.

We want a hearth pad both as thin as possible and as small as possible (i.e., a footprint that cover's manufacturer's specs and no more) AND the protection we need. In the end, I'm leaning towards 1/2" hardibacker on the wood floor, then 1/2" micore, then another layer of 1/2" hardi followed by some thin set and a natural stone. Does this sound ok? Do I have to be careful about running a screw through more than 2 layers b/c of conductive heat? It's a corner install, and I'll take my hearth pad all the way back into the corner and under the exhaust pipe. I'd like for the stone to be thin, but not so much that it will crack under the weight of the stove's feet. Thoughts? Is there a way to go THINNER? Anything else I should consider?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. Unless they changed the specs, I thought the Mount Vernon AE just needed ember protection. If that is still so there is no need for the multiple layers. A sheet of cement board covered in natural stone will suffice. A 1/4 or 3/8" stone veneer should suffice.

In a lot of europe and the us a sheet of glass passes as ember protection,looks awsome.Just removed a stove from a house,had about 3/4" thick concrete/flagstone(cut i am sure) with metal edging.From bottom looks like a small pour of cement with the stones pushed into it.Extreamly heavy.

In a lot of europe and the us a sheet of glass passes as ember protection,looks awsome.Just removed a stove from a house,had about 3/4" thick concrete/flagstone(cut i am sure) with metal edging.From bottom looks like a small pour of cement with the stones pushed into it.Extreamly heavy.

Liking the glass idea...hating my previous plan of an extremely heavy pad. I wonder how they pull off the glass idea without it breaking? My manual says the noncombustible pad must extend in front, to the sides and behind the unit.

Welcome. Unless they changed the specs, I thought the Mount Vernon AE just needed ember protection. If that is still so there is no need for the multiple layers. A sheet of cement board covered in natural stone will suffice. A 1/4 or 3/8" stone veneer should suffice.

I called Quadra-Fire to confirm and you are CORRECT! THANK YOU! That's huge! Now...how to convince my installer? Hmmm.....

Status
Not open for further replies.