hearth pad construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent

Aug 8, 2012
northern Minnesota
Was wondering if there are any issues with using plywood as a base for the hearth pad we're making for the PE Super 27.

I came across this info when searching the forum here:
R1001.9 Hearth and hearth extension. Masonry fireplace hearths and hearth extensions shall be constructed of concrete or masonry, supported by noncombustible materials, and reinforced to carry their own weight and all imposed loads. No combustible material shall remain against the underside of hearths and hearth extensions after construction.
Our hearth pad recipe as gleaned from others:

5/8 plywood
cement board
ceramic or slate tile

Any thoughts on using wood as the base? If not wood, what else would we use?

Also, any ideas on the pad recipe or tips on building it?

Thanks

The "bible" for your stove's required minimum clearances to combustibles and floor protection is the manufacturer's installation/owner's manual for the appliance. The way I read the manual for the PE Super 27, the floor beneath the stove requires non-combustible ember protection only. This means you can build anything you want, using whatever materials you want, just so long as the topmost element (on which the appliance rests) is non-combustible. See page 9. Rick

http://www.pacificenergy.net/pacificenergy/pdfs/SUPER-SD1-250112-20.pdf

whats underneath the proposed hearth placement. I don't see a good reason to just add more wood to the mix. if you want the extra thickness then go ahead and get another layer of Durock. I don't know the specs on the PE, is it just ember protection?

Fossil posted that right as I did. He's right, of course. I still don't see why you're adding plywood, though.

Was wondering if there are any issues with using plywood as a base for the hearth pad we're making for the PE Super 27.

I came across this info when searching the forum here:

Our hearth pad recipe as gleaned from others:

5/8 plywood
cement board
ceramic or slate tile

Any thoughts on using wood as the base? If not wood, what else would we use?

Also, any ideas on the pad recipe or tips on building it?

Thanks

I could be wrong, but I think the code you quoted is for a masonry fireplace. Your hearth extension is not for a masonry fireplace. It is for a wood stove. I believe as long as you build an extension that meets the requirements that PE publishes for the stove you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.