Hearth pad question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruns333

Jun 9, 2009
OH
Hello, I am new to the forum and had a question about hearth clearances. I am getting a Napoleon 1402 wood burning insert, and placing it in an existing masonry fireplace. It is on an interior wall in a house built around 1910. The current hearth/mantel was put there as decoration after a Garrison II woodstove was removed over 15 years ago. The existing hearth is one piece of slate and its footprint extends about 16 inches off the front of the new insert. If I place a new hearth pad of stone that is raised up maybe 2 inches off the hardwood floor that butts up to the hearth, is that enough noncombustible hearth? Where does the air for the insert come from to burn. I am having a mason redo the firebox and don't want to forget something like how the outside air gets to the stove.,

Thanks
Matt

They do go out of their way to complicate the install, don't they?

From the owner's manual:
"Do NOT place any combustible materials (furniture, firewood, etc.) within 48 inches in front or 36 inches at the side of the insert."
48" seems like a lot of coverage to require. Maybe I'm misreading.

Also:
"Insert must be installed only into a solid fuel burning fireplace that is at least 14 inches deep 26 inches wide and 22 inches high with an approved lined chimney at least 15 feet high"
So check those dimensions, but I'm guessing that won't be a problem... But it could potentially impact you.

So you might want to snap a couple photos of your setup. It sounds kinda like you have 16" forward coverage now, but I can't make out if that's a flush existing hearth, or is it raised already? And how exactly are you proposing to construct this 2" "raised" hearth?

And of course, the obligatory: You have your wood supply cut, split, stacked, and seasoning already - right???

oh yeah - and welcome to the Hearth! :)

It was already raised about a half inch with a solid piece of slate with beveled edges. I think we are going to increase the depth some and make it flush with the floor as it is a traffic pattern in our house.
fireplacephotos001.jpg

fireplacephotos002.jpg

fireplacephotos012.jpg

I have some wood cut, some split, some stacked! Not nearly enough as I think I will need about 3 cords to suppliment the heat for the house this coming winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.