Hearth pad rules for Canada

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canuck_22

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hi all, as posted in the other thread the P61A is on the way and I am getting things ready. The "Hearth pad" to buy or make one? I'm handy with this sort of thing i.e. carpentry, ceramics, grouting etc. but I want to do it right and make sure it's accepted when they do the WETT inspection. If anyone has experience with this, links, plans, rules, I want to hear from you.

Thanks

Manufacturer specs are in the manual. Since the stove is tested using their specs - those are the ones that are accurate. Download the manual from the Harman site and work from there... Have fun!

Hello

I have built 3 raised hearths. See pics

1. My 1st -- Lighted, heated raised hearth with tile mantel and candles. This hearth heats the room without the stove! LOL
Heated Hearth Output!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/heated-hearth-output.68655/

2. My 2nd -- For the shed
Building a raised tiled hearth for a pellet stove again! Nice day for raised hearth building!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...in-nice-day-for-raised-hearth-building.76358/

3. My 3rd -- How is this for the WETT inspection! ! ! LOL
Raised Waterproof Wood Pellet Stove Hearth for Garage!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-stove-hearth-for-garage.104197/#post-1403449

Nice work, but WETT for us does not mean WET as in Waterproof! :)

Kidding aside, I'm thinking cement board with ceramic tiles, maybe some kind of aluminium trim if wood like nice oak trim is not allowed.

You can use a wood trim as long as it is
beyond the min clearance need for the base
My hearth is slate over cement board with a pine trim
WETT Certified
I'll post a picture later

Looking forward to it!! Makes sense, if the wood trim is more that 18" from the front of the stove then it is no different than the floor itself. Lanark, not far;)

Nice work, but WETT for us does not mean WET as in Waterproof! :)

Kidding aside, I'm thinking cement board with ceramic tiles, maybe some kind of aluminium trim if wood like nice oak trim is not allowed.
I used the wall version of Hardibacker cement board, as opposed to the floor version, which is only half as thick.

I put down a piece of plywood cut to shape. Then bent trim and quarter round glued to the front of plywood. Then played down a thick bed of mortar and ploped all the rocks I found down. Then grouted the next day. 10 years old and still looks good and its way thicker than the ones they sell. IMG_20140209_211040_102.jpg

Reactions: chken
I put down a piece of plywood cut to shape. Then bent trim and quarter round glued to the front of plywood. Then played down a thick bed of mortar and ploped all the rocks I found down. Then grouted the next day. 10 years old and still looks good and its way thicker than the ones they sell.View attachment 127070

Very nicely done!

Thanks Chuck. It was a easy fun project. And it was just a little area, not like grouting a giant floor. So the mess wasn't that bad either.

I put down a piece of plywood cut to shape. Then bent trim and quarter round glued to the front of plywood. Then played down a thick bed of mortar and ploped all the rocks I found down. Then grouted the next day. 10 years old and still looks good and its way thicker than the ones they sell.View attachment 127070

Bet you've visited Frank Lloyd Wright's house in Buffalo;lol Not sure if that particular house applies (never visited before I left the area:() but most of his relied heavily on indigenous materials for building ... your "found" rocks!

Like the curved trim and quarter round...

Yup. I worked at the one near the Zoo for a little while a long time ago when it
Was getting renovated. Speaking of work its almost time now to start the BS :(

Status
Not open for further replies.