Hearth pad with wood storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northernwoodsman

Feb 13, 2008
Northern MN
Has anyone ever seen a hearth pad with built in wood storage. Because space is limited in my living room, I've been thinking about building a compartment under the built up pad for wood storage, just a small amount of wood, perhaps a 1/2 days worth. Assuming I meet all the r value specs, would this be doable? Does anyone have pictures of something similar? Thanks!!!

The masonry/stone alcove that my stove sits in was designed with storage space. I can store several days worth of wood, both in the half-height niche to the left of the stove and the far right side of it. In fact, I've got both spaces full now.

333404232.jpg

I designed my pad with an eye towards possibly expanding it for wood storage. However, my plan is more for storage on the side, like the one pictured above. Storing wood underneath is an interesting idea, but I have no idea if it's practical or would meet code. Have you called your stove manufacturer or your local building code compliance officer? I guess that is where I would start, just to make sure there's no issue as far as they are concerned...

Status
Not open for further replies.