hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hot-stove

Jan 25, 2018
northern nj
all,

I want to upgrade my Kodiak Insert to a free standing stove but need to extend my hearth. I've seen 2 basic kinds of hearth mats, both approx. R1.5ish. One type is .5 inches thick and is metal covered board. The other type, a much more significant 1.5 inch unit. Will my Huntsman 241 wood stove be able to sit on the cheaper mat without an issue? I have 32 inches hearth height and don't want to cut too much off the legs of the stove to make it work. Thanks in advance for the advice. morton building 030.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The stove manual has the hearth pad insulation requirements listed. The legs should not be cut off the stove. That will void the testing data and make the hearth pad requirement unknown.

Reactions: Defiant