hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
i have a masonry hearth..i just read on one manufactures website that one of the inserts require a 6 inch hearth pad....so im pretty green to this code stuff....my hearth is pretty big wide ways....and what im guessing is the pad..thats what the insert sets on...mine isnt 6 inches...like 4 inches maybe..anyone have any more info on this subject?

2011-10-06234753.gif

Can you provide a link to that manufacturer's website. It sounds like there may be some misinterpretation or misinformation there.

I can't pull up the manual, but if you note, there is a qualifier ** pointing to other options to make up that R value. They say it's on page 13 of the manual.

saw ur signature..u have the alderlea.....what does that stove run as far as price?...and are u happy with it?

steeltowninwv said:
saw ur signature..u have the alderlea.....what does that stove run as far as price?...and are u happy with it?

I believe in our neck of the woods the T6 will run you about $2,800

I don't know the answer, but I had the same problem when I wanted to install and Englander 24JC insert into my hearth, which is not raised at all, but is brick and flush with the floor. It didn't say anything about the 6" anywhere in the instructions, but it was shown in the diagram of the required clearances. The 24JC is not a current model they sell but they still provide support, so when I called to ask about that, the technician first tried to talk me out of it, saying the 6" on there must be a mistake or soemthing. Then he checked with his supervisor and they said no, 6" means it must be raised 6", so I asked whether there was some kind of "R" value I needed to meet, and they said no, it had to be raised, regardless of R value.
The whole thing was pretty weird, and I am not really sure if they were totally right, so the answers you get from your manufacturer may differ, but anyway, that was mine!
Since you are only a couple inches off though, you could probably shim it up on something fireproof that's two inches high, brick pavers or something, and be good to go.... in my case bumping it up from 0 to 6" would have put my mantel clearance out of whack so I had to sell it and buy a new stove!

steeltowninwv said:

Yes, no complaints. It has been a great stove so far. You'll have to check with your local PE dealers for pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.