Hearth Planning: Flat Screen TV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
Anyone have a flatscreen tv over their woodstove/above the mantel? Any regrets? I just started a remodeling project and think I might get a flat screen. Over the woodstove is an option. At first I thought it might look cluttered or take away from the woodstove. I figure. I'll lose mantel space too. Any one with experience or pics?

I have no experience but my first thought was that you'ld end up with melted tv due to the heat from the stove - heat rises and wood stoves throw out lots of heat.

I have contemplated doing the same thing since my wall above the mantle is recessed. I was told by a salesman as long as the space can remain below 92 F it would be OK to put a flat screen TV there. All I can recommend is to put a thermometer there and see if it stays below 92.

Below 92F?! Ha! (not intending to slam your comment) No way would it stay below 92 above a stove. More like 142.

I wouldn't do it.

This question has come up a few time and would make a great article. If you search on 'LCD TV', that should link to several threads on the subject. It can be done, depending on the installation, mantle and perhaps even the airspace created by the support bracket. Here's a starter:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/21002/P0/

What DD said.

The heat & dust/ash will compromise the layers of glass used in the display over a period of time, and could void warranty and/or service contract coverage. Those display panels are very expensive to replace.

I know Doing advises against it but you need to look at your install. My brother has a pioneer elite for about 5 years and no issues what so ever. I insulated my 6 inch liner in a masonary chimney with a block off plate. I also have a very deep mantle so heat is deflected. I put a thermostat up there and got my insert molten and only got close to 100 degrees up there. Usually it gets in the 80's. I just bought the 850 series 52" samsung and the bracket came Friday. Its going up Monday or tuesday. I think the biggest culprit is the ash aside from the heat. If your carefull I think it is fine. I also ALWAYS have the ceiling fan running so that may help too. I also bought a tilting bracket the holds the tv 3 inchs from the wall. Time will tell but I think in my install it will be ok. Results may vary...

I have an insert too and it does not get overly warm above the mantle, as per my infrared temp gun.
I'd have to get used to looking up at the TV though.

Thanks for the replies. I should have included more details and a picture. In the picture below, the twisted chimney will be framed and covered with sheetrock over the next 2 weeks. The brick mantel (no overhang) will be ~12 inches deep. I'm thinking that the top of the stove to the bottom of the TV would be around 3 ft distance in height, so a bit more than when calculating the diagonal. The ceiling fan in the room, which is pretty close to the stove, will run 24/7.

Attachments

• Hearth Planning: Flat Screen TV
    Homestead_2.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 590
So the tv, if we decide it is safe to install up there, will be a bit above that pot on the mantel.

Personally, I don't like my TV that high (or that hot). Rick

you will watch the fire more then the tv.there(wood stoves)like a Fish tank next to a tv.

If there was a fan on the stove like an insert I bet it would be cooler.
I bet the mantle will help too.
Maybe you shouldn't make any firm plans until you can get some actual measurements.

You also have the issue of the ash & dust gumming up the cooling fans and the motors.

Plus hiding the wires.

My Plasma is in the same room as the insert, mounted on a wall 6' from the insert. Best I could do here.I'm thinking about moving it and rearanging the den.

I clean it with a made for plasma cleaner and a cloth we get in a kit. I've had the guys come in and removed the back twice in 2 years to blow out to accumulated dust and ash (first year dust, second year dust & ash). It was a pretty heavy accumlation.

Just saying.

Alright. Good points. If it was over a fireplace, no problem, but I bet you are right between ash and heat maybe it is not a good idea. I may wait to take some temp readings or perhaps my wife and I will get impatient and try to pick up a flat screen sooner and just not put it there.

We currently do not own a flat screen. Have a 27" standard CRT.

Our situation is sad 'cause we have an entertainment center (that's furniture) that only allows a TV of a certain dimension.
HD allows a bigger TV 'cause it still looks clear even up close.
Good luck with you TV exploits.

Sounds like a good plan Vic. Temp reading on the area above the mantel after an all day burn will be helpful before making a final decision. Remember that the VESA bracket supporting the tv creates an airspace that will help to mitigate the problem.

Velvetfoot brings up a good point. We're constrained to a 32" tv with our cabinet. I ended up putting in an HDTV projection system which has been great fun.

As this technology proceeds, it continues to surpass previous standards. The newest LED backlit LCD screens have raised the bar another notch. Increased detail from higher resolution is wonderful. So is increased gamut (range of contrast), with its greatly increased shadow and highlight detail. This is a long way from the tv of the past century.

that looks like a Hearthstone Homestead, right?
the surface temps are lower than with plate or cast stoves, so thats in your favor, but the unit has no blower option to decrease heat off the top.
depending on install config 36" might be required from top of unit to a mantel, or combustible trim, but those codes are written for fire saftey, not tv saftey. niether tv nor stove makers want the responsibility of coming up with " safe" parameters for a reason!
that said, i have seen some sucsessful installs, and some not so...(damaged tvs/speakers)

ceiling fans will help with air flow, but is there any way to cover the tv, so when the power goes out the tv is protected from radiant heat??
consider mantel type heat shield deflector, or two with vented air spaces, monitor temps before risking expensive electronics.

Fireplace Clearances (4-inch legs, with surround)Hearthstone Homestead

Attachments

• Homestead 8570mantel.bmp
    209 KB · Views: 491
While I would love to stare at two of my most prized material possessions at the same time, I would probably shy away from it. Of course there is heat, but also ash, dust, chimney cleaning, repairs, tools, etc. Too many bad scenarios for a hack like me. So my Jotul 550 is on one side of the room and my Sony 46" LCD is on the other. I have positioned my recliner so that I can admire both and somehow not have to wear shorts in the middle of January. If I could ever get my wife to let me put a small beer fridge behind the recliner, well then I would be forced to go out and buy a "Life is good" T-shirt!

For design purposes, the tv might look good above the stove as you describe. However, "Been there and done that" my small wager is that after a month of viewing tv at that height you will be wanting to relocate it to a more comfortable viewing position or move your viewing chair way-way back. And, prepare to seek a masseuse to rub your stiff neck.

Best wishes and good luck.

Where mine is going is abut 15-16 feet from the chair. I agree if you are 5-8 feet away. My brother has the same set up and is about 12 or so feet and it is fine. It is different to start with but 10 minutes into viewing you do not notice a difference...

we do alot of gas fp with tvs over them, but the ash and dust and static from a wood burner would probably not be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.