Hearth Planning: Flat Screen TV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as TV height... My last house had the TV above the gas fireplace within a foot of the ceiling and the new house has a TV at a height that is about eye level when you stand there. Elevated TVs are great. Great when lying on the floor, feet up on the hearth, with a kid or two snuggled into your arm pit. Also for when reclined in a recliner or the reclining couch. You get used to looking up real fast.

Pretty sure Vic is now without the homestead and onto the woodstock fireview.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
While I would love to stare at two of my most prized material possessions at the same time, I would probably shy away from it. Of course there is heat, but also ash, dust, chimney cleaning, repairs, tools, etc. Too many bad scenarios for a hack like me. So my Jotul 550 is on one side of the room and my Sony 46" LCD is on the other. I have positioned my recliner so that I can admire both and somehow not have to wear shorts in the middle of January. If I could ever get my wife to let me put a small beer fridge behind the recliner, well then I would be forced to go out and buy a "Life is good" T-shirt!

Just convince her it is a new art deco side table and put a lamp on it with the clicker, you will be set :cheese: ;-P
Just make sure you paint it to match the wood stove

madison said:
TV's are dust magnets, and placing it that close to the "dust storm" of a wood stove is not a good idea imho.

tube TVs, yes. My 52" LCD has virtually no dust compared to the 36" tube tv it replaced.

myzamboni said:
madison said:
TV's are dust magnets, and placing it that close to the "dust storm" of a wood stove is not a good idea imho.

tube TVs, yes. My 52" LCD has virtually no dust compared to the 36" tube tv it replaced.

I would ammend my original statement and agree that tube tv's are the real dust magnets. Though my plasma still has a cooling fan , so I would think that drawing ash laden air thru the back of any appliance could not be a good thing for longevity.

Anyone care to post hearth pics with their flat screens?

Status
Not open for further replies.