Hearth question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

High Altitude

Hearth Supporter
Jul 12, 2008
Colorado
I am going to be doing a castille corner install.

The room is on a concrete slab with carpet over it.

Should I put some cement board down on the concrete slab (to get some height) with tile over it and cut the carpet around it (with tack strips to hold it etc..)

OR

Should I build a hearth pad with plywood/cement board/tile and just lay it on top of the carpet.

What do you think about each option?

Either option sounds good. If you feel that this is going to be a permanent install (which can add value to your home if you decide to sell) I'd go with option 1. If you feel that you may either move the stove location or even take it with you if you do sell, then option 2 sounds good too.

I went with option 1 with mine. I cut everything out down to the subfloor, the 3/4" plywood, then thinset with 1/2" Durock, thinset again with the tile.

I also doubled all the clearance requirements so it's a bit larger than was required.

Steve

Attachments

• Stove32s.jpg
    Stove32s.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 397
Cut out the section of carpet and tile the floor.
It will look better than a stove board thrown on top of the carpeting .

Giovanni said:

how difficult is that to do? I was afraid that if I cut out carpet, I'd never get it re-stuck on the new tack strips without those special tools that carpet installers have.

cac4 said:
Giovanni said:

how difficult is that to do? I was afraid that if I cut out carpet, I'd never get it re-stuck on the new tack strips without those special tools that carpet installers have.

You won`t need tack strips.
All you need is to apply a strip of below grade carpet adhesive to adhere the carpet where it butts up against the tile edge.
Use it sparingly with a small 1/8" toothed trowel (plastic or metal) and keep the adhesive away from the very edge so it doesn`t ooze up .
Really a simple task.

I went with option # 2.

Easier just to put the board down on the carpet and not worry about ripples
in the carpet, cutting clean carpet edges, or gluing anything back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.