hearth question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

new_wood

May 9, 2011
Lebanon, Ohio
We have purchased a Buck Model 74 freestanding stove. We will be putting it in the corner catty-corner. We are running tile or stone up both walls about 5-1/2' or 6'. We are also going to do a raised floor hearth but we are struggling as to how high to raise it. I guess it is probably really just personal preferrence but just wondering if anyone had any comments based on personal experience. I am thinking maybe 6 to 8" maybe upto 11". Anyone have any pros/cons to raising it any more? Thanks in advance for your comments.

A typical step is about 7-1/2", not quite sure what your trying to do for looks and use with the raised hearth. Some are as simple as the subfloor then the added backerboard and then the finish tile/stone on top. Maybe 2" total. Others have a frame raised platform and the added tile or stone ontop of the backers on top of that. I would think it's all about personal preference and the look your trying to achieve. Do you have any ideas ?

If the hearth is going to be generously sized, I would prefer the higher height. It makes loading the stove easier. If there is going to be wood storage on this hearth, it makes loading that area easier on the back too. And it can double as a nice seat when you are looking to thaw out after shoveling snow or ice skating!

Welcome to the forum Denny.

I agree with BeGreen.

When we installed our last stove (Fireview) we wanted to raise it up. Our old bodies did not like the thought of bending to fill the stove. We settled on 16" raised (what the wife wanted) and that ended up perfect. We have a chair right by the stove so when it comes time for loading the stove, we just sit and we can see right into the firebox and it is perfect height for filling and for emptying ashes. My argument with the wife was that heat goes up rather than down and I feared too much would mean cold floor. That concern turned out to be wrong as our floors are warmer than ever, thanks to the Fireview.

The only down side I can see is that it caused a few grunts to get this 500 pound rock up onto the hearth. Three of us did it though and it wasn't so bad after all.

If I remember correctly, the manual for our PE Summit had recommendations for hearth height. There is likely code for height which will vary from region to region. Might be a good idea to contact your building inspector or town official who will likely be inspecting the thing.

We did ours only to code, but it's not much more than 5", maybe 6". Now, we have no aching back issues, and have yet to really think that the stove and surrounding area is too low. I like it at a lower height, as it blends in a little more aesthetically with the rest of our room. No problems here!

I burn in two stoves. Both sit atop hearths that are 12" above floor height, because both my installations allowed me to do that. I like them that way very much. Bending over doesn't get any easier with age. Pic of shop stove attached, stove in house is similar in height. Rick

Attachments

• shop.jpg
    shop.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 156
I like the hearth raised but my wife didn't so my hearth is only about 1.5" above the subfloor and a little higher than the carpet.. It's easier to make the spouse happy or live with the results forever lol.. Do what the spouse wants and you'll be a happier man..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.