hearth stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mheller

Dec 1, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
I'm am planning on buying Lopi Republic 1750 freestanding woodstove and installing it inside existing masonary fireplace. the stove will be 3/4 of the way inside fireplace and about 1/4 of it (4-5") onto hearth. this will still give me 16" of non combustible hearth in front of stove. the dealer recommended buying it with blower unit to help push heat out of fireplace. Is this worthwhile or necessary. Also, fireplace has an ash dump with a clean out opening in the basement. if i open ash dump would this be of any benefit in circulating heat?

No way on the ash dump thing. Seal that off!

As far as the blower, my advice - if you can install it later - is to see what it will do without it. If you are running 24/7, it may not make a big dif.

Be advised that new NFPA code calls for 18" as opposed to 16". That is a generic code, but chances are that stove makers will start specifying it in their manuals soon.
Ask the dealer or your building official if unsure...or, simply put the stove 2" further back.

Yeah, it is not dangerous to have the 16" - the stove was tested that way and I bet the majority of folks, from inspectors to insurance companies, do not yet know about the NFPA update - and even if they did, there is always the question as to whether enforcement is by the "label" (manual) on the stove, or by some local official. At least this way you will be OK when you sell your house (for instance) - if they check for NFPA at that time.

winter is coming said:
I'm am planning on buying Lopi Republic 1750 freestanding woodstove and installing it inside existing masonary fireplace. the stove will be 3/4 of the way inside fireplace and about 1/4 of it (4-5") onto hearth. this will still give me 16" of non combustible hearth in front of stove. the dealer recommended buying it with blower unit to help push heat out of fireplace. Is this worthwhile or necessary. Also, fireplace has an ash dump with a clean out opening in the basement. if i open ash dump would this be of any benefit in circulating heat?

For the best efficiency... the stove should not be into the fireplace. Full exposure of all four walls will maximize the BTU output. You need to circulate air around the unit and if you squirrel it away you may not get what you expect!

Welcome aboard and let us know how you make out!

Status
Not open for further replies.