Hearth styles..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaD

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2013
Scotland
As I enjoy reading many posts here, especially those with lots of pics of new installations, I'm noticing that there is a style of hearth In the US that I don't see over here. It's just appeared again in a new thread, "new hearth and Jotul Oslo'. Looks great, by the way!

What seems to be more common over here is to lay two to four granite slabs or flagstones down. They are 2 inches or more thick, so don't require any insulation underneath, and just get laid right onto the floor.

Just interested in what I guess may be regional styles...

Also, my stove position is not the most common in the UK, where people often seem to go for installations that sit inside the original fireplace. I can see why this is done, as most houses over here have original old fireplaces and stone chimneys, so precious room space is saved this way... although a huge amount of precious heat is also lost, so it was not an option I chose to take...

I think we all love pictures, so I wondered if others might like to share their own hearth style if it is unusual or perhaps another 'regional style'.

The first pic is a typical UK style stove installation set into the original fireplace space: note also set on large stone slabs. The second is my stove, on two large granite slabs... I guess the other UK style of installation

PS... I don't want to worry any of you, so I'll say here that the dark sooty marks on the stone above my stove are from the original open fire that was there... It's NOT my stove leaking! :eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
I very much wanted an hearth made of one big piece of slate cut to size and placed in the corner of my living room, but after driving hours and spending many hours on the phone I realized what I want is just not available around here.

Instead I'm having a concrete slab custom made for the space. I have a mid century modern ranch and I just bought an Oslo for it.

Sounds good Marajade. Hope you post pics when it's done!

Status
Not open for further replies.