Hearth, tile or mat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
I'm going to be putting in a hardwood floor in my family room. Currently I have vinyl and a tile hearth in front of the zero clearance fireplace. The hardwood floor will raise the height anywhere from 3/8 to 3/4" depending on what I use. This will make the floor higher than the hearth.
I guess I can put edging on the floor and have the hearth sunken. There is about 1/2 from the current hearth to the bottom of the vent on the front so I could add another layer of tile if I went with the 3/8" flooring.
Can I floor right up to the fireplace and use one of those fireproof mats? I have glass doors on it but usually leave them open when burning relying on the screen. This is purely a decorative fireplace. I've got a TARM in the basement for heat.

What are my options?

Check your local code, a Hearth Rug may not be up to snuff (it wasn't in my area).....you may have no other choice other than Tile.

Reactions: DAKSY
I like the idea of tile, it's permanent and will protect well. If necessary lay down a sheet of cement board under the tile to raise it to the new floor level or a bit higher. Give is a nice wooden frame border for the new floor to butt up against.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Problem is, if I raise it much past 3/8" it's going to start blocking the lower vents. I'd rather not have to jackhammer the existing tile out if I can help it. That takes a realitivly simple job and turns it into a production. But then again thats how most of my jobs go.

I like the idea of tile, it's permanent and will protect well. If necessary lay down a sheet of cement board under the tile to raise it to the new floor level or a bit higher. Give is a nice wooden frame border for the new floor to butt up against.
A friend of mine made something just like what you describe that he puts out during burning season to save his flooring from sparks, or other damage, then picks it up and puts it away during warmer weather.

I highly doubt you'll find "Fireproof" rug....maybe "Fire Resistant"....there is a difference....safety first my friend

Problem is, if I raise it much past 3/8" it's going to start blocking the lower vents. I'd rather not have to jackhammer the existing tile out if I can help it. That takes a realitivly simple job and turns it into a production. But then again thats how most of my jobs go.

I've removed tile before with a crowbar/prybar and hammer - if you don't mind breaking it, which I assume you don't...remove the old and replace with a new that will sit at the height of your new floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.