Hearthstone Craftsbury 8391 fire goes out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Bought a 2 year old Craftsbury. Very good condition, nothing warped.
Installed it and notice something is rattling internally. Does not seem to be the secondary air piping.
Upon start up, as soon as I close the door, the fire chokes up with a lot of smoke and smothers. If the door is slightly ajar, things go great.
The primary air control is pulled all the way out. I cleaned it thoroughly with a vacuum.
Something is not right and I am not sure what it is.
Can anyone offer suggestions? The rattling sounds like it is in the back of the stove.

tom in maine

Bought a 2 year old Craftsbury. Very good condition, nothing warped.
Installed it and notice something is rattling internally. Does not seem to be the secondary air piping.
Upon start up, as soon as I close the door, the fire chokes up with a lot of smoke and smothers. If the door is slightly ajar, things go great.
The primary air control is pulled all the way out. I cleaned it thoroughly with a vacuum.
Something is not right and I am not sure what it is.
Can anyone offer suggestions? The rattling sounds like it is in the back of the stove.

tom in maine
what is the chimney/flue setup for this stove?

Masonry chimney about 15'. Chimney is interior. I always warm it up with paper and kindling for a bit before adding fire wood.
Been doing this for a while.
Flue pipe is new about 2' long one elbow. It is caulked with stove sealant.

My concern is the rattling noise that is quite pronounced on the stove. It is coming from the back of the stove. I believe this is not a catalytic stove, no?

Got this one figured out. Pulled the top off and found that the baffle was installed backwards and upside down. It left an opening in the baffle area which apparently shunted the draft through the secondary air inlets, not allowing in primary air.
Big difference! Nice gasification.

Good sleuthing Tom!