1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Hearthstone Enamel Question..

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Dakotas Dad, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    OK, so the door on the Mansfield started shedding it's enamel paint in February.. Coming off in dime to quarter sized pieces.. Only on the door, and in two areas..It's the Majorca Brown..

Anybody seen this, and what did you/they do?

I am going to pull the door and go talk to my local shop.. see if it can be refinished. If not, or if it's hideously expensive, I will just media blast it and have a black door.. I prefer a flat black stove anyways..

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    What is the warranty on the finish? Sounds like it might be bad enameling.
  3. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Champlain Valley, Vermont
    Yeah, this happened on my blue Tribute, too, although not on the door, on the top trim on one side and right around the flue exit. The Tribute is secondhand, so not covered by warranty and I didn't ask. Original owner bought it in 2004. As a result, I made sure to order the new stove with the matte black trim, although I gather from the dealer it's not a huge job to sand it off and re-enamel.
  4. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    Second owner.. I will point out that the finish on our old, black stove still looks like new in it's new home.. :)
  5. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    My Shelburne warranty specifies: limited one-year warranty on enamel finish, against peeling or fading, excluding chipping, mechanical abrasion, chemical abrasion, or crazing. Mine is three years old and no problems.
  6. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    How old is it? If it's not very old the dealer should help you out with this issue.