1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Hearthstone H1 - Uninsulated basement vs insulated basement = WOW!!

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Motor7, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Rich L

Rich L Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern,Ma.
    I didn't have the original coal basket.Just some grates that cover the opening of the base and let the ash fall into the ash pan.You can use a poker to shift the ash.I got about 12-14 hrs of good heat from the coal for several years until the coal ate up the innards.A pipe damper is a good way of keeping the coal from over firing also the amount of coal you use will keep a even temp.The stove was built to burn coal as well as wood so I don't know why Jim was so against it.Call some fireplace shops to see if they have some small grates that will cover the opening or call one of those stove parts places to see if you can get the original basket or something comparable.That 4 hour burn time is rediculous.Try the coal.You'll be able to tell if works for you in no time.Also a steel shop will put a grate together for you in no time.Just give them the measurements.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    thanks rich. 12 to 14 hour burn times without the shaker grate is better than i thought. how hot did the stove run?
  3. Rich L

Rich L Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern,Ma.
    I had a grate just not the original grate.A friend gave me her's which she used in her fireplace when she moved.It just happen to fit inside the H2 well.Now coal burns hotter than wood well it's all hot.Coal just burns longer.It burnt well.I would have kept the stove if it wasn't so old.It lived it's life and provided well.Try it and let it be known how it works for you.
  4. Motor7

Motor7 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    East TN.
    We had a short Indian summer..60 here today so I painted the Beast again:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went with Hunter Green Thurmalox stove paint. I also ordered the Jade green, but it was a bit too bright.
  5. Rich L

Rich L Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern,Ma.
    Now that is a beautiful color.I'm doing my break in fires.Just one more to go till I give it the big burst.It hasn't been cold enough to fire both stove but I will fire up the One anyhow just to feel the effect.
  6. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    that's a great color. goes perfect with the stones