Hearthstone heritage firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NewMNstove

Oct 3, 2018
Northern MN
Hello, I am wondering about the condition of the inside of my firebox on my Hearthstone Heritage wood stove. See pics. It looks like some of the grouting/mortar is falling apart at the corners? What do others see? Normal? Repair strategies?

Thanks

20221026_172358.jpg 20221026_172422.jpg 20221026_172416.jpg 20221026_172342.jpg

I looks like it could use a recaulking. If you turn out the lights in the room and shine a bright light at those seams, is the light visible at that location from the outside of the stove? If so, it definitely needs new cement.

I used to purchase a tube of special cement from Woodstock to repaire my old Fireview firebox.

Hearthstone sells their high quality refractory cement in tubes and tubs. That's what I'd use. A google search will show online sellers.