Hearthstone Warped Grate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Valkrider

Nov 6, 2023
Wisconsin
Hello.
I have a question about our moveable grate in our Hearthstone. Is it supposed to be bowed up? We always just clean the ashes out from the inside of the stove and never slide the movable grate. But when I was cleaning the ashes I noticed that the grate is bowed up and does not close tightly over the bottom grate. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Thanks!
IMG_3291.jpeg IMG_3292.jpeg

Reactions: wetwood4life
It’s not normal, do you open the Ashpan door to help get the fire going?

Thanks for the reply. I didn’t think it was normal but I wasn’t sure. The goofy thing is though is that we never open the ash door to try and get the fire going. I am thinking about just putting a steel plate down and removing the grate.

I fixed the issue!!

Well apparently this is a known problem that should have been compensated by company and perhaps partly why it was discontinued. I went through two expensive upper grates. Finally, I got a local Blacksmith to cut me a 1/2" steel plate to cover that central area with an off center hole for the lower grate door bolt (see pic, I hope). $90, done! ALSO, importantly is YES, the problem appears to be 1. The ashpan door warps over time and the seal sucks (literally) so I permanently sealed it with fire cement caulk (for metal and brick). 2. The upper grate freezes in time preventing closure of slats.
Find a Blacksmith and get black cement for gasket. Easy fix. Do it before the lower grate warps!

20231222_161443.jpg 20231218_101441.jpg 20240119_124545.jpg

Last edited:
Another option, before the grate warps, is to run the stove with the ashpan full of ash and shovel out the ashes instead. This effectively stops air from coming through leaky ash doors.

Reactions: ozarkoak
I never used the ashpan, ever. It was always packed with ash, but still air gets through. Complicating it, the darn grate never completed slid closed and got worse over time.