HearthStone Heritage Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bschwart

Dec 9, 2010
Eastern, MA
I am considering buying a hearth stone heritage. I am new to wood heating. The stove install requirements has 16 and 15 inch set backs from a combustible wall. My plan is to use metal studs, but micor 300 and then cement board and tile on the walls with an inch airspace to make them non combustible. However, the Hearth stone gives no change in set backs for combustible or non combustible walls. The jotul setbacks does? Any ideas if I can reduce the side set backs if its a non combustible wall?

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Are you planning on using the back heat shield on the Hearthstone? That can save you several inches.

Pg 7 of their manual (which is PDF, so I can't cut and paste here) say that the clearances can't be reduced without the use of a close clearance pipe and/or protecting the surfaces per NFPA 211 standards; an address is given with which to contact them for more info.

If you do reduce the setbacks, I'd make sure that you have it in writing somewhere (no, we don't count) that this was an acceptable setback. When it comes to homeowner's insurance coverage, you want your i's dotted and t's crossed.

BTW, you'll probably get more action with this question if you post it in the Hearth Room rather than the Wood Shed.

Good luck. I have that stove, and really like it. A lot.

Thank you. I did get the heat shield. I installed it to the combustible set back even though I made the walls non combustible, to be safe. I am loving the stove. It is easy to operate. I do find that I really cant dial it down too much so I dont get as long burns as I thought I might? Thanks for the tip about using the hearth and not the woodpile. I am new to this and I see I am in the wrong spot.

GSP,

Got any photos of that shield ? I was thinking of getting one to "neaten up" the back of my Heritage installation. It's sits just outside of the existing brick fireplace. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.