Hearthstone Heritage, mantel clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
Can someone give me the lowdown on clearances required to install a hearthstone heritage. In particular, I am interested in the clearances from the stove sides to the wooden mantel, and from the stop top to the mantel above. It seems that depending on the thickness of the wood, the clearances vary, but that doesn't make any sense to me. The stove is installed on a proper pad (already), into a fireplace and connect to a SS liner, but I have put off rebuilding the mantel until I could understand the clearance requirements better....

It seems to be implying that the side pieces of the mantel can be as close as 8" away from the side of the mantel, but the mantel shelf must be 25 inches from the top, and that the distance from the top of the stove to *any* wood is 21...am I reading that correctly? The 8" seems very reasonable, the 25" to the mantel shelf also seems reasonable, and doable without a funny looking mantel, but 21" to the first piece of wood above the stove? That is going to make for a very high mantel...am I not interpreting this correctly?

EDIT: If the stove is not directly underneath the trip above the stove, i.e. the 1" wooden trim, but is instead 5" forward of that trim, does it make a difference? In other words, the only wood *above* the stove, is the mantel shelf, the other wood is "above" the stove, but back 4-5" inches

Attachments

• Hearthstone Heritage, mantel clearances
    mantel.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 489
MrEd,

Those clearance drawings, charts, instructions - they all suck a lot, don't they?? Buggered me up GOOD last year.

I have wood trim on either side of my old fireplace. I couldn't really tell what that "front view" meant - in a room with no fireplace? in front of an existing fireplace? in an alcove? - so i just went with Dim. "H" for the corner of the stove to the trim. Drew a 12" radius from each piece of wood, and made sure the stove body was outside both arcs. i mighta used the feet themselves, since that's just extra clearance over "minimum".

As for the mantle vs the stovetop... again, poorly described. if your mantle sticks out over the stove, like the "Side View" is drawn, you wanna maintain the 25". I think mine is back a bit and lower, and the inspector didn't really care. i check the temps on all this stuff w/ my IR therm and it never gets hot enough for me to really care. 150 or 160, maybe 180. if i ever get worried, i've already discussed how to add a curved piece of sheetmetal on some standoffs...

The 21" is drawn SO far out of scale compared to the 25", it almost seems like it's a typo. I don't know how you'd get the 21 to work and NOT make it all look stupid around that.

As for your edit remark - having the stove out front seems like that's what they intend by their sketch. doesn't mean diddly tho, since the sketches are so far outta whack.

I'd say call H'Stone but this is one of the few times i think you'd get off the phone and likely be more confused than when ya started :(

I put a Hearthstone Homestead in an existing fireplace two years ago - we had a wooden mantle my wife loved and wanted to use. I went through all kinds of calculation trying to make everything work(hearth R value, distances to sides/top etc.) For example, the actual mantle(shelf) had plenty of clearance from the stove - but there is a small trim piece about a foot lower on the surround that gave me fits. It sticks out just far enough to come into play. As it turned out I raised the entire surround in order to meet code. It's higher than I prefer - but the wife loves it - and that meets my code!

Status
Not open for further replies.