Hearthstone hybrid? And stove output questions..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
Also look at the hearthstone hybrid stoves.
I guess you're referring to the Green Mountain stoves? Have either you or @webby3650 had a chance to look inside one? Did they look like substantial construction? Cat well-protected? The 40 looks weak but the 60 looks like it puts out some heat according to the EPA tests..
Seems a lot has been changing in the non-cat stove world. Lower particulate outputs, but webby said he looked inside at the new Heritage 8023 and that they had "cheapened it up." I wonder if they are having to build less mass into them to help them burn cleaner? Just guessing here, I dunno..
I see that the EPA numbers are showing less high-end output on the newer models, for example the Manchester 2 8361 @ 34000 BTU/hr, 2.1 grams/hr particulate compared to the 8360 @ 47500 BTU, 3.1 particulate. And the Heritage 8023 @ 23791 BTU, 2.0 particulate, the older 8022 @ 32800 BTU, 2.7 particulate.
I don't know the ins and outs of the upcoming new, more stringent EPA standards, but it's clear that the lower a stove burns with the air wide open, the lower the gm/hr particulate is going to be. So in 2020, are we going to be stuck with a bunch of low-output secondary-only stoves, with the only way to get higher output being to go hybrid or straight cat?

The cat was positioned right out front with no flame shield. It was a steel cat with small holes, looked very prone to clogging.

I guess you're referring to the Green Mountain stoves? Have either you or @webby3650 had a chance to look inside one? Did they look like substantial construction? Cat well-protected? The 40 looks weak but the 60 looks like it puts out some heat according to the EPA tests..
Seems a lot has been changing in the non-cat stove world. Lower particulate outputs, but webby said he looked inside at the new Heritage 8023 and that they had "cheapened it up." I wonder if they are having to build less mass into them to help them burn cleaner? Just guessing here, I dunno..
I see that the EPA numbers are showing less high-end output on the newer models, for example the Manchester 2 8361 @ 34000 BTU/hr, 2.1 grams/hr particulate compared to the 8360 @ 47500 BTU, 3.1 particulate. And the Heritage 8023 @ 23791 BTU, 2.0 particulate, the older 8022 @ 32800 BTU, 2.7 particulate.
I don't know the ins and outs of the upcoming new, more stringent EPA standards, but it's clear that the lower a stove burns with the air wide open, the lower the gm/hr particulate is going to be. So in 2020, are we going to be stuck with a bunch of low-output secondary-only stoves, with the only way to get higher output being to go hybrid or straight cat?
I was referring to the absolute steel and ideal steel hybrid stove from hearthstone they also have the new survival hybrid

I was referring to the absolute steel and ideal steel hybrid stove from hearthstone they also have the new survival hybrid

Ideal Steel, Absolute Steel and Survival are all Woodstock Soapstone Company stoves, not Hearthstone!

Hearthstone is putting a cat in all their stoves from what I hear. At least the soapstone stoves for now.

Reactions: Jason_Travers
Stoves at the trade show often come to market substantially different than the one there. Hopefully they will do some different, the cat looked very vulnerable the way it was positioned.

Yeah, they really need to make stoves as foolproof as possible; Most users aren't nerds like us who will spend time learning about all the pitfalls. They are just gonna toss in wood and go. It occurred to me that maybe that would be a benefit of, for example, taking the Manchester output from 47K BTU down to 34K. It was probably a lot easier to overfire and damage the 47K stove..

Reactions: webby3650