Hearthstone in bedroom?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gypsy-spirit

Hearth Supporter
Jun 10, 2010
Western Maryland
hi again,

Thanks for all the information on this site.. I'm really becoming educated in a hurry!

At first I thought I'd just need a big firebox.. but then I saw the soapstone stoves.. and I's gots to get me one of them!

So.. 2 companies to choose from.. first I went to Woodstock's website, and have nearly read all their articles.. very well laid out, informative, etc.

Then I went to HearthStone.. and did the same..

Not so many articles.. and I didn't like how they constantly refer the customer to the person who sold the stove.. but the biggest eye-popper for me was under FAQs it says that most building codes will allow a woodburning stove in the bedroom... is this right? (I've noticed that several replies to stove-in-bedroom inquiries on this board alluded to NOT putting stoves into bedrooms).

So, the good people of this board are mistaken, HearthStone has had a typo, or HearthStone is trying to appease the masses by telling them that "most codes" will allow it, but individual areas vary.. therefore when someone finds out THEIR code won't allow a firebox in their bedroom, they feel slighted by their own overbearing local government...

From the International Mechanical Code. Not sure which year. Maybe someone here with a recent copy can verify this section.

"Bedroom Fireplaces

SECTION 303
EQUIPMENT AND APPLIANCE LOCATION

303.1 General. Equipment and appliances shall be located as required by this section, specific requirements elsewhere in this code and the conditions of the equipment and appliance listing.

303.2 Hazardous location. Appliances shall not be located in a hazardous location unless listed and approved for specific installation.

303.3 Prohibited locations. Fuel-fired appliances shall not be located in, or obtain combustion air from, any of the following rooms or spaces:

1. Sleeping rooms
2. Bathrooms.
3. Toilet rooms.
4. Storage closets.
5. Surgical rooms.

Exception: This section shall not apply to the following appliances:

1. Direct-vent appliances that obtain all combustion air directly from the outdoors.

2. Solid fuel-fired appliances, provided that the room is not a confined space and the building is not of unusually tight construction.

3. Appliances installed in a dedicated enclosure in which all combustion air is taken directly from the outdoors, in accordance with Section 703. Access to such enclosure shall be through a solid door, weather-stripped in accordance with the exterior door air leakage requirements of the International Energy Conservation Code and equipped with an approved self-closing device."

Exception is made for a wood stove, as long as it's easy to get out, and the room doesn't seal too tight. Gas appliances are a bigger concern for bedrooms. Odds are good that most local jurisdictions follow IMC.

Hey, you could even put one in your surgical room.

I doubt I could sleep with a stove in the bedroom. I need time away from the stove to rest from.. "tending" the fire..lol.

mostly I wouldn't want to drag firewood up stairs. :)

BTW, individual area codes DO vary wildly, what they cover, what they say. But more importantly, even if code allows something, if the inspector doesn't like it, he doesn't have to pass it. and not to sound anti-whatever, if code doesn't cover it, or they for some reason think your install or/of whatever is safe, they CAN pass it. I have this first hand from the county inspector.

and an edit..

Between the 2 companies you are looking at, as far as being "refered to the dealer", those two have EXACT opposites as far as sales practices go. 1 has NO dealers, and so have direct company contact with all their customers, 1 will only work with their dealers, not the customers.

meh. No way I would base my choice on just that fact.

OH, and Yeah, soapstone stoves are the best. Or should I say, the best stove I ever owned is soapstone?..lol

Dakota's Dad.. No, I'm not basing my decision on the business models of the two companies.. and I don't even want a woodstove in a bedroom.. I'm actually comparing the two based on their web-presence, since that is what I have access to at the moment. A 10 hour trip to New Hampshire is not terribly feasible.. but I would like to try and evaluate companies on as equal grounds as I can.. therefore their web presence is the first step.

If one of the companies has a blatant non-truth right on their "informative" website.. I would not want to support them. If it was a mistake, it means they don't pay attention to details... and if it was on purpose... well, you get the point.

After posting last night, and seeing the code.. I realized that the main thing I had seen pertaining to bedroom stoves was applicable in Manufactured Homes.. I had forgotten that detail.

My comment on always being referred to the local dealer (from HearthStone) made me realize that one must put full faith in their local dealer because they will get no help from the company if the dealer wasn't being helpful.

I don't know.. if I bought a product from a retail store and had trouble with it, I would like to know that I could go back to the store and ask for assistance.. but if they couldn't help me, I would like to contact the company for help next. Shoot, most of the products I get usually say something like "if you experience trouble or need a replacement part, do NOT return to the retailer, contact us".. or something along those lines.

At any rate, there are pros and cons for the consumer in both business models, and it's nice to have a choice .. so I must choose.. and choose wisely..;)

I've owned stoves from both companies and in my opinion the Woodstocks are better looking, better built and more efficient heaters. Customer service from Woodstock is great, they will bend over backwards for you. Prices are cheaper as well, Woodstock always has a sale going on. Check out the ratings section here, it may help you make up your mind.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/ratings/

C
Todd said:
I've owned stoves from both companies and in my opinion the Woodstocks are better looking, better built and more efficient heaters. Customer service from Woodstock is great, they will bend over backwards for you. Prices are cheaper as well, Woodstock always has a sale going on. Check out the ratings section here, it may help you make up your mind.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/ratings/

I like the Hearthstone better. I think they are a better looking in every way. I think the quality is better and they make stoves in every size for every size homes....not just smaller stoves like Woodstock. That is my opinion. So as you see...everyone has a different opinion. You will have to decide by what looks better for you and what size you need for your heating needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.