Hearthstone Manchester temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Skipjack

Nov 22, 2016
Lancaster PA
This is my first season burning my Hearthstone Manchester and wondering where on the stove is the most accurate place to get a temperature reading since the Manchester has a convection top?
I currently have a magnet thermometer on the stove pipe outlet.
Should I install a probe in the pipe?
Also the manual doesn't really say what temperature is considered as an overfire but after reading other posts I am assuming I should keep the temp below 500 degrees.

If you have single wall stove pipe, a magnetic thermometer (especially if it's made by condar) will do just fine.

If you have double wall stove pipe, then you'll need to go the probe thermometer route.

pen

The Manchester has a convective lid over the stove top so temps on it will be much lower than the actual stove top temp.

Did you install the stove pipe coming out the top, or back or the stove? I have my pipe coming out the back. This way I have the metal cooking top to put a pot on, and when I am not using the cooking surface, I have the stove top thermometer on it. I feel this gives a very direct reading of the stove temperature.