Hearthstone Mansfield baffle support position

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TonyP

Jan 6, 2016
New Hartford, CT
I can't get my baffle support to sit upright, as the parts dialogue displays. As my photos 1-3 show, it flops down flat, essentially enveloping my front secondary tube. I've sat it in an 'upside down T' shape on top of the front baffle, but it still falls down. As photos 4 & 5 show, i moved it forward a little, which allows secondary burn on the front baffle, but rests at a 45 degree angle on the baffle board. Is it too far forward? Is it supposed to support itself, or it supposed to sit like this, essentially supported by the very baffle the its supposed to be supporting? My other observation is that the inner right side of the stove has a bar running from front to back, but the inner left side of the stove doesn't. Thanks.

Hearthstone Mansfield baffle support position Hearthstone Mansfield baffle support position Hearthstone Mansfield baffle support position Hearthstone Mansfield baffle support position Hearthstone Mansfield baffle support position

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a hole in mine that a cotter key goes through (the baffle and the tube) that keeps it in position. The key has failed twice in mine and that plate fell over like yours. Use a stainless key and it will last longer than a mild steel key.

There is a hole in mine that a cotter key goes through (the baffle and the tube) that keeps it in position. The key has failed twice in mine and that plate fell over like yours. Use a stainless key and it will last longer than a mild steel key.

Is the hole on the left side, the center, or the right? Also, should I be sandwiching the baffle support in between the front tube and the baffle, or does it sit further ahead?

In mine the hole is in the center. The metal plate goes in front of the tube and the key goes horizontally through the plate and tube. I am going from memory though. I cleaned my stove a couple weeks ago and that was the second time that I found key failed and the plate loose. I will look tonight and make sure I am saying this correct. or someone else can chime in before then. It is sort of a puzzle how the tube and the fiber board baffle and that plate all interlock.

In mine the hole is in the center. The metal plate goes in front of the tube and the key goes horizontally through the plate and tube. I am going from memory though. I cleaned my stove a couple weeks ago and that was the second time that I found key failed and the plate loose. I will look tonight and make sure I am saying this correct. or someone else can chime in before then. It is sort of a puzzle how the tube and the fiber board baffle and that plate all interlock.

Thanks so much, I appreciate your time. I'll give it another look for cotter keyholes.

Mine goes up, behind the tube. Then, on top of the tube comes closer to the front of the stove. Then up.