hearthstone outside air kit installation question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calebnicholes

Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2009
midwest
I am looking to retrofit my Heritage with an outside air vent. Currently, the stove is vented with an insulated Homesaver stainless steel tube through a chimney. Rather than boring a hole through the chimney or through our tile floor, I am wondering if you could hook the intake into the open chimney space. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Is this a masonry chimney or just a chase? If masonry, is it without a blockoff plate and do you intend to draw air between the SS and the masonry? There is bound to be stack effect from heat rising which will work against the OAK.

Taking the air from the chimney cavity is not going to cut it. The cap at the top should be sealed tight.

Is there a current problem that the outside air is intended to correct? If so, can you describe it?

My heritage gets outside air through the tile floor behind the stove. You could also bore straight out the back and through the wall if your stove sets against an outside wall. It would look like a dryer vent. I tiled around the intake tube but you could easily make a new hole. Ideally the intake would be from a ventilated crawlspace beneath the stove. In my case, the intake air tube "drafts" just like a chimney and is unaffected by outside wind conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.